It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UC brake Valve Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 11:55 am 

Hello,
As am sure most know Multiservce supply did unit exchange on UC and other valves. I just got off the phone with them and it appears that right now they are not offering service with old valves. Is there any other place, besides Pabco, that services old brake valves.

Thanks
Maria

Last edited by MariaB on Mon May 16, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: UC brake Valve Rebuild
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 12:22 pm 

You might try Pittsburgh Air Brake (PABCO) out of Bentleyville, PA. I think they still work on UC though parts are getting scarce.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 7:57 pm 

Ah… It didn’t dawn on me that you may have been a victim of autocorrect. Those are the only two I’ve worked with.

Some are converting from UC to ABDX nowadays due to scarcity. You might look into that. I don’t imagine the cost the the valves and bracket is too outrageous. The cost to replace with good ABDs wasn’t a lot more than a rebuild. I wouldn’t think ABDX would be much more expensive but I’ve not gotten a quote and could be full of hooey.

BTW, welcome to the Interchange.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 10:10 am 

Thank you for the welcome.
I have a diagram from NYAB for conversation somewhere. Never priced it out though
Maria

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 11:30 am 

Maria,

I know it doesn't entirely answer your question, but you (and anyone else running older brake valves) may want to attend the webinar put on by the Heritage Rail Alliance this Thursday 5/19. HRA has put together a program which allows operators of most older valves to extend the mandatory service interval.

You can find more info here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46566

The relevant session starts at 3 PM Eastern time.

Jason Lamb

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 4:40 pm 

Thanks Jason, unfortunately it looks like registration is now closed.

Maria B

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2022 7:51 pm 

Most of the time, converting UC (and LN) to ABDX is done to take advantage of the extended servicing interval of ABDX. UC and LN have service intervals of 18 months; ABDX is a lot longer. AB, ABD, ABDX, etc.,however, don't have graduated release.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:38 am 

D22 also has graduated release and are still serviceable. You’ll have a relay valve and emergency application valve added into the mix with bigger plumbing changes. You’ll still have the shorter service interval though. If you don’t use or need graduated release, then the longer service interval with ABDX may become a plus.

I’m curious of how many out there are still running UC brakes and the question remains: Where do you have the valves serviced?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:46 am 

Maria (and anyone else interested),

Yes the registration for the HRA webinar on historic brake valves tomorrow is closed, but participants can still be added. Please send me your email address in a private message, I will be glad to share my access link so you can participate.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:29 am 

Can't make the webinars, but would interested in a summary of this issue.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:36 am 

In yesterday's webinar, it was noted that the host was recording the session. It is possible that in the future, you may access one or both of the sessions.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 12:00 pm 

Why get rid of UC valves?
- Service interval is shorter than AB**
- Cost for rebuild is much higher than AB**,
- UC valves are so big and heavy they're simply a PITA to handle.
- My experience has been AB** is much more reliable

Other than graduated release (which can be achieved with D22) or MAYBE historical interpretation, I can't see why any organization wouldn't want to upgrade from UC to AB** or D22.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:14 pm 

eshock wrote:
Why get rid of UC valves?

Other than graduated release (which can be achieved with D22) or MAYBE historical interpretation, I can't see why any organization wouldn't want to upgrade from UC to AB** or D22.

Historical accuracy is very important to many organizations with the word "museum" someplace in their name. I realize that tourist railroads don't have the same obligation.

If the intent is to modernize with something that will continue to be maintainable, why stop at a 22
type system? Schedule 26 equipment is still in active production.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 2:24 am 

I may be mistaken but Strasburg does rebuild valves. More and more shops are moving away from servicing UCs. As noted before PABCO does rebuild UCs, that is who I go to for these valves. Someone noted earlier that if you wanted to retain graduated release that D22 may be your answer, but last I knew their service life was not much better, UCs being 18 months, and D22s being 24 month valves, and they were not much cheaper to be serviced, and also heavy. Also mentioned if you wished to retain graduated release you could go to the more modern 26C setup, my information may be out of date but I do believe those had a terribly short service life at 12 months. If your operation does not use graduated release and does not plan to in the future, the AB conversion is the best option. The conversion sounds daunting, but once you get into it it really isn't that difficult, and has an extremely long service life.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 11:25 am 

As noted, Strasburg can and does provide overhaul services on historic brake valves. However, at the moment our capabilities regarding car valves are limited to that of our 3-T rack, which gives us the ability to test everything L and older (P, K, H, ect.), but our rack testing abilities end when it comes to PC and newer. We are aware of the current situation surrounding UC valves, and we are exploring options there. (We do currently have one car in service with UC.)

So far as the debate to maintain a historic brake system versus convert to ABD or newer: If an organization's sole concern is to save money on maintenance over the long term, then a conversion to a modern braking system is probably the way to go - as much as the purist in me hates to admit that. However, there are many valid points for retaining a historic brake system. At Strasburg, we continue to maintain the original PM equipment on our cars because:
- It maintains the historic integrity of our cars
- It omits the up front expense of performing a conversion to modern brakes - which can be very substantial and quite daunting when considering a fleet that consists of more than a few cars
- We have the ability to test and service in house
- Construction is simple and rugged, allowing us to perform all heavy overhaul work that may be needed, making the valves and the system eminently rebuildable
- The operational characteristics of the valves are very desirable for our operation; they apply positively, release promptly, and charge/recharge their auxiliary reservoirs quickly

I have heard others who have converted their passenger cars to modern to modern freight brakes express regret, largely due to performance characteristics that weren't designed for passenger trains - slow(er) to apply, slow to release, slow to charge. Also, though having noted the lesser maintenance/servicing period traditionally required by modern freight brakes, I will echo Jason's comments and call out that HRA has developed a maintenance standard covering many historic braking systems. Once approved by FRA, this standard will allow for an extension of COT&S intervals on many older braking systems, provided a railroad is performing a single car test and keeping records as required. I hope many here had the opportunity to attend the webinar on Wednesday and Thursday.

In the end, the decision of whether to retain a historic brake system or convert to something modern involves many factors that must be tailored to the needs and concerns of each particular operation. For us, it is without question that maintaining our historic brake equipment suits our needs best, and we look forward to preserving the operation of this equipment and the skills needed to maintain it well into the future.

- Erich Armpriester
Strasburg Rail Road Mechanical Services