It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carson City Steam Up this July
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:42 pm 

Anyone have any news or information on the Carson City events? The website is so vague it’s hard to tell what all is going to actually happen.

I’m also disappointed to see the the V&T Railway won’t be running that weekend (not running July 4th weekend!?) - I was hoping to ride behind the 18 up to Virginia City and hopefully into the Canyon.

This should be a major event and the museum and V&T Railway and V&T Railroad should all be working together to create a special event!

Post subject: Re: Carson City Steam Up this July
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:06 am 

The V&T is running steam the four days of the 4th of July weekend. Viriginia City to Gold Hill.

See https://www.virginiatruckee.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:30 am 

Brian Norden wrote:
The V&T is running steam the four days of the 4th of July weekend. Viriginia City to Gold Hill.

Thanks Brian, I was looking at the V&T Railway (not Railroad, I know confusing! Ha) that operates from “Carson City” up to Virginia City. They also operate south of their Carson City station into the canyon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:42 am 

I'm very much looking forward to this as it will be my first trip to that part of the US. I'll also be seeing most of the various railroad attractions between Sacramento and Ely, inclusively. I'll welcome any suggestions for visiting anything that isn't an obvious choice along that corridor.

Anyone from RYPN who would like to say hi, I'll be the guy in the WW&F cap (and/or shirt.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:38 pm 

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
Brian Norden wrote:

Thanks Brian, I was looking at the V&T Railway (not Railroad, I know confusing! Ha) that operates from “Carson City” up to Virginia City. They also operate south of their Carson City station into the canyon.

Oh, you mean the Virginia and Truckee Railway Commission. This is a governmental/tourism based expansion of the private V&T RR.

Rail bikes are south of the east Carson City station into the canyon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:46 pm 

Yes, they are advertised as the V&T Railway. I’m familiar with both and have ridden both. I would like to ride behind the 18 now that it’s up and running again.

They have run trips to the canyon before and they say trips are retiring this year but no dates yet.

Was surprised they aren’t running events to go along (side-by-side) with the event in Carson City.

I wish there was more information on the event, the website is incredible vauge. Better marketing would certainly boost attendance at the event!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:01 pm 

In all honesty, I think there's a HUGE missed opportunity to partner up here. Have some of the standard-gauge locomotives visit the V&T before/after the event...it's not like they'd have to be trucked far to get there. Yes, it's cool to see all these locomotives gathered in one place. But there's not that much trackage for all of them to run on at the museum. It's enough for the purpose of the event, but it could have been SO much more...

http://www.bigjimvideo.com/home.html
http://www.youtube.com/user/bigjim4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:25 pm 

bigjim4life wrote:
In all honesty, I think there's a HUGE missed opportunity to partner up here. Have some of the standard-gauge locomotives visit the V&T before/after the event...it's not like they'd have to be trucked far to get there. Yes, it's cool to see all these locomotives gathered in one place. But there's not that much trackage for all of them to run on at the museum. It's enough for the purpose of the event, but it could have been SO much more...

I've been to Carson City twice for the July 4th Steam ups... to me the museum seemed barely large enough to handle the 3 locomotives and the McKeen railcar. I'm not sure where all these locomotives are going to go and what they are going to do?

I'm sure it will be a fantastic event, but I'm with you, seems like there are many missed opportunities. :/

I don't understand why the museum is making such a big deal about the V&T anniversary and NOT encouraging vistors to also take a ride on the V&T Track that is right next door. This would be such a great partnership.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:54 pm 

I think a significant part of this Fourth of July event is being driven by the local tourist and hotel industry to promote its business in Carson City.

I posted this back in February on this forum:
Quote:
Post subject: Re: The Great Western Steam-up .... PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:27 pm

During the Iron Horse Round-up -- maybe on the first train I rode -- I ran into two young men who did not strike me as railfans.

I talked with them and found out that they were from Carson City and were attending the VIHR to get ideas for an upcoming event in at the railroad museum in Carson City. I asked who they were with and I received a business cards from one of the men and it identified him as "Event & Sales Manager" with "Visit Carson City."

"Visit Carson City" is a local a tourism promotion organization with a board made up of three tourism reps, a city council member, and a Public citizen. His position is currently vacant at the organization's list of staff on its website.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:27 pm 

elecuyer wrote:
Anyone from RYPN who would like to say hi, I'll be the guy in the WW&F cap (and/or shirt.)

Ah yes, but you may not be the ONLY one. ;o)

Crescent-Zephyr wrote:
bigjim4life wrote:
I don't understand why the museum is making such a big deal about the V&T anniversary and NOT encouraging vistors to also take a ride on the V&T Track that is right next door. This would be such a great partnership.

I agree. The V&T is a beautiful railroad. With so many railroad enthusiasts in town for the NSRM events, it is amazing that there isn't more activity on the V&T set to coincide with this. Since I believe there are no evening/night events at NSRM, why not an evening run into the canyon on the V&T? I've been on the V&T numerous times, but I have never been in the canyon.

/Kevin Madore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:26 pm 

The first time I rode the V&T from Carson City to Virginia City I couldn't believe what an incredible ride it was. History, Scenery, Grades and Curves for the engines to work on - everything you could want!

I've never ridden into the canyon either and would really like the opportunity.

Kevin... let's go in on a charter! haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:00 pm 

I haven't been to that area in about 25 years. Knowing basically nothing about the layout of Carson City other than NSRM and the V&T are in the area, I always thought it would benefit both in the long run to move the museum to where it had access to the V&T. Is there an area that's not too far off the main roads of Carson City that they could relocate to? And yes, I imagine this is probably at least a seven figure idea, but the tiny bit of track the museum has doesn't seem to have much to offer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:08 pm 

There's definitely property out by the V&T's "Carson City" depot with track going in both directions. It's 7 miles from the current museum.

The V&T Railroad, V&T Railway, and Nevada State RR Museum really need to be working together to highlight what each of them offers. They have something really special out there and if they would pool all of their marketing efforts they could become a premier railway destination that would rival them all.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:55 pm 

It’s not always that simple. Two organizations like that are bound to have at least a couple of headstrong people It is doable however.

On the issue of connection, I have read somewhere that the Commission V&T has eventual plans to extend a few miles further to the outskirts of Carson City near an asphalt mixing plant.

The problem is that the NSRM is on the west side of town, nearly 5 miles from that supposed terminus for the V&T.

There’s a theoretical they could relocate but I don’t see that much of a benefit for them unless the site they’re on is truly too small for their needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:19 pm 

Steamguy73 wrote:
It’s not always that simple. Two organizations like that are bound to have at least a couple of headstrong people It is doable however.
Three if you count in the V.C. to Gold Hill operation.