It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Flying Yankee News
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:58 am 

Keep in mind the following regarding any future plans to operate the Flying Yankee:

The train has no rear coupler. The State of New Hampshire was hopeful of borrowing the coupler from the Mark Twain Zephyr but if that train is being restored for operation, theirs will not be available.

One of the traction motors is not complete. At least one of the axle bearing caps was lost when they were abandoned at the electrical shop. The state had to recover them and parts were missing. The missing parts are castings and would need to be reverse engineered. The type of motor used is no longer common in the industry.

The wheels are on the last cut now. One wheel slide and they will need replacement.

These are just a few items from my notes of discussions with FYRG and State of NH.

PC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:41 am 

My kinda-sorta understanding (it has been a very long time now) was that for high-speed operation at least some of the trucks or wheelsets would have 'replacements; made in modern materials. Certainly I think it would be advisable to use modern wheels, and if replacing the motive power for operation it might make sense to gin up replacement TMs to fit the 'historic fabric' in the rest of the truck.

Might be a sensible time to fit some more-modern compliance and damping where that could be done 'respectfully'.

Presumably the new wheelsets could be etched or marked for modern encoders for prompt antislide equipment -- great advances have been made since the Decelostat/Decelakron years!

Is there a reason an 'adapter coupler' from transit could not be donated/solicited and modified as needed?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:30 pm 

New Press Release is posted:

https://flyingyankee.org/

PC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:52 am 

I wish them well, but I hope it's not too critical to note that the news release is dated September 12 and about half of the content of the November newsletter is the press release.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:07 am 

Dick, Thanks for noticing and mentioning that. The group just sent it out to their e-mail list again today.

PC