It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1871 Trades to Build RR Cars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:15 am 

Wilmington, Del is my hometown and was home to Jackson and Sharp, builders of many railroad cars in the 1800s. In my collection I have an 1871 Jackson and Sharp promotional booklet and for me, the most fascinating thing in the booklet is the list of trades employed to build railcars. Some of the trades are all but vanished. Does anyone know of a professional chaser, plush maker, or glue maker? The stories of these trades of the past would make for an interesting story. If anyone would like a copy of the booklet let me know and I will email you a pdf.

Attachments:
Clipping from Jackson and Sharp 1871 Booklet.jpg
Clipping from Jackson and Sharp 1871 Booklet.jpg [ 192.14 KiB | Viewed 47716 times ]

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

Post subject: Re: 1871 Trades to Build RR Cars
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:14 pm 

Note which items were manufactured, which were 'furnished', and which were made (lamps and stoves, notably). I believe 'trimmings' refers to the specialized lubrication arrangements for plain-bearing axleboxes.

The great vanished (no pun intended) trade that deserves more attention is that 'varnisher'. Putting a finish on a railroad car of that era involved a number of steps and techniques that would be inconceivable today... for a result that would only last a limited time before having to be done all over again.

I do confess that I'm fascinated by the existence of 'fresco painting' on railroad cars at all!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:33 pm 

Location: Granby, CT but formerly Port Jefferson, NY (LIRR MP 57.5)
Overmod wrote:
I do confess that I'm fascinated by the existence of 'fresco painting' on railroad cars at all!

Interesting. By definition, fresco implies a plaster surface to paint on. Was plaster ever used in passenger car interiors? I wouldn't imagine typical lath and plaster construction or even applied plaster decoration (moldings, rosettes, etc.) tolerating movement and vibration very well.

-Philip Marshall

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:03 am 

I believe a Chaser was what they called Engraver.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:44 am 

Quote:
"I believe a Chaser was what they called Engraver."

I think 'chaser' is short for 'woodchaser', who would be able to make carved trim. I note that many current artisans calling themselves that today also work in brass and other metals, although I don't know whether they do repousse trim.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:20 pm 

I believe in this case a fresco painter would be the one who would paint a detailed scene on the exterior and interior walls or ceiling of the car vs a regular painter.
Fred Heilich

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:07 pm 

I presume that in the case of fresco painters they are the folks painting these sort of things. I can't imagine that there were enough advertising cars being built but perhaps there were.

Attachments:
North Carolina Rolling Exposition Delaware Car Works.jpg
North Carolina Rolling Exposition Delaware Car Works.jpg [ 466.18 KiB | Viewed 47044 times ]

Maybe it won't work out. But maybe seeing if it does will be the best adventure ever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:13 pm 

Tom, by definition 'fresco' means painting on 'fresh' plaster.

Those advertising cars were likely pasted-on "bills" or what we'd call posters. As in the signs "post no bills".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:41 pm 

Normally on walls and ceilings. I suspect the term expanded to include those who applied decorative art to walls or ceilings of any material.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:33 am 

Overmod wrote:
Quote:
"I believe a Chaser was what they called Engraver."

I think 'chaser' is short for 'woodchaser', who would be able to make carved trim. I note that many current artisans calling themselves that today also work in brass and other metals, although I don't know whether they do repousse trim.

In metalworking, engraving is done by removing metal from the surface (such as with a grinder), while chased and repousse designs are made by moving metal with a punch without removing any metal from the piece. Chasing is done on the face of a piece, while repousse is done by pushing from behind the piece, creating a raised design.

I don't think true chasing or repousse would work very well with wood, carving would probably be a much better choice.