It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Light bulb ban
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:10 pm 

So apparently the light bulb ban that is going to go into effect will also affect those vintage Edison style bulbs that many street car museums use. Anyone know any solution to this problem?

Last edited by RCD on Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Light bulb ban
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:24 pm 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Citation?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:20 pm 

I’m not familiar with the subject but did find this.

https://www.gelighting.com/inform/halog ... -explained

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:22 pm 

LED Edison style bulbs are readily available. You can easily find them using an internet search - Amazon has them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:17 pm 

And they will run on 600 VDC in a series of 5?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:26 pm 

From what I have read, what is being banned is 12 volt, 24 volt, and 120 volt screw base lamps, both incandescent and halogen. With a majority of the incandescent lamps no longer in production, my guess is the factories that make these lamps will be gone soon, so the non banned speciality lamps will also not be available. The HRA parts committee ran a special run for the 56 watt street railway lamp about a year ago. At the time it was thought that this was probably the last run of these lamps.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:16 pm 

We gave up on this a long time ago. We have created our own LED replacements. You can create your own for any DC voltage with a suitable set of resistors in series.

Odense Nr. Broby Faaborg Jernbane passenger wagon B 27 (In Danish Bee-soo-ah-too) was returned to service from a chicken coop. Originally fitted with gas lamps, the gas flame has been simulated with LED. We are also replacing our cab lights with custom LED fittings.

https://veterantoget.dk/materiel/personvogne/onfj-b-27/

Attachments:
File comment: Close up of simulated gas burner
ONFJ B 27 gas LED lamp sm.JPG
ONFJ B 27 gas LED lamp sm.JPG [ 51.12 KiB | Viewed 4610 times ]
File comment: Third class compartment B27
ONFJ B 27 3 klasse.JPG
ONFJ B 27 3 klasse.JPG [ 85.45 KiB | Viewed 4618 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:39 pm 

This vendor says they are good to 36v DC, which is a start. How hard could it be to get a special run for 120v DC?

https://www.12vmonster.com/products/dc-12v-6w-led-filament-wire-light-bulb-retro-edison-style-lamp

This one says 120v AC/DC - but you to have to really try one to see if that is a typo or true.

https://www.amazon.com/ST64-Incandescent-Dimmable-Suitable-Outdoor/dp/B0BGFB5Z1C/ref=sr_1_19_sspa?keywords=12v%2Bedison%2Bbulb&qid=1678066509&sr=8-19-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzUDFYSDdMQjlOVjlMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTYyODQyMU9NMUgwUUpONEtMSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjY3OTY3MkZRQzZCMFc4Wkc3MCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:47 pm 

The problem for use in typical North American streetcars using five bulb series circuits is the bulbs have to survive 600 VDC to ground.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:00 pm 

They need to survive 600vdc, at least briefly, from terminal to terminal, even in failure. Incandescent bulbs were simple, and a failure would likely just pop one or more bulbs with little damage. They almost certainly were simply the correct amps, open, or possibly shorted, which would probably just cause one of the others to burn out quickly. Having each lamp get 120v is highly dependent on all of them being the same amperage/resistance at all times. LED's react differently-some of them have a brief delay while the bulb turns on. Different brands may react different ways, or pull different currents, which would cause varying voltage drops across the string. A failed bulb will likely quickly see 600vdc on an electronic circuit never designed for that. Will it fail quietly? Will it explode? Will it quietly just catch fire?

Yes, it would be quite possible to make LED lamps for this application, but someone is going to have to make them on purpose.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:12 pm 

Ye gods, you'd think no one had ever seen a voltage-clamping varistor or surge suppressor before. Hang an appropriate fuse to ground around the electronic module.

What is the current bulk price of voltage-to-voltage conversion from 600V to... whatever the strings or modules of LEDs would demand. Put one of those in the line and voltage-protect it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:53 pm 

My question is not related to railroad preservation, but rather to the chandelier light in my library.

This chandelier has glass globes that require the light bulb shell to not in increase in diameter for ~ 5/8 inch above the metal threaded part. The halogen 42 watt for 60 watt incandescent replacement bulbs work fine. All the locally available led replacements neck out too fast and jam in the glass globe.

Is it true that the halogen bulbs will not be available? Is there a different option I'm not aware of that lets us keep the 1930's chandelier?

Brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:29 pm 

choodude wrote:
My question is not related to railroad preservation, but rather to the chandelier light in my library.

This chandelier has glass globes that require the light bulb shell to not in increase in diameter for ~ 5/8 inch above the metal threaded part. The halogen 42 watt for 60 watt incandescent replacement bulbs work fine. All the locally available led replacements neck out too fast and jam in the glass globe.

Is it true that the halogen bulbs will not be available? Is there a different option I'm not aware of that lets us keep the 1930's chandelier?

Brian

How about this?
https://lysexperten.dk/produkter-led-lys/81-lyskilder---led/851-led-paere-e14-2w/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:33 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
They need to survive 600vdc, at least briefly, from terminal to terminal, even in failure. Incandescent bulbs were simple, and a failure would likely just pop one or more bulbs with little damage. They almost certainly were simply the correct amps, open, or possibly shorted, which would probably just cause one of the others to burn out quickly. Having each lamp get 120v is highly dependent on all of them being the same amperage/resistance at all times. LED's react differently-some of them have a brief delay while the bulb turns on. Different brands may react different ways, or pull different currents, which would cause varying voltage drops across the string. A failed bulb will likely quickly see 600vdc on an electronic circuit never designed for that. Will it fail quietly? Will it explode? Will it quietly just catch fire?

Yes, it would be quite possible to make LED lamps for this application, but someone is going to have to make them on purpose.

Can't hurt to try. What is the worst that can happen? You destroy some bulbs.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:08 pm 

softwerkslex wrote:
choodude wrote:

Brian

How about this?
https://lysexperten.dk/produkter-led-lys/81-lyskilder---led/851-led-paere-e14-2w/

For one thing, that's a candelabra base, not standard Edison base. More importantly, if that had an Edison base, do you see how the glass shell immediately gets larger in diameter as it goes up from the metal bit?

My application requires the glass shell to keep ~ the same diameter for ~ 5/8 inch up before getting larger.

I doubt that this one would fit:

https://lysexperten.dk/produkter-led-ly ... m-to-warm/

Brian