It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mystery? 3ft 0-6-0 in Washington State
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 3:36 pm 

There is a listing in classifieds for this locomotive:

“a 1919 baldwin 0-6-0 steam locomotive originally a sugar cane loco in the Philippines 3' gauge“

There is no listing for the locomotive in steamlocomotive.info

Do you have anything to share about the history of the engine and how it wound up in Washington state?

Wesley

Post subject: Re: Mystery? 3ft 0-6-0 in Washington State
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 7:36 pm 

wesp wrote:
There is a listing in classifieds for this locomotive:

“a 1919 baldwin 0-6-0 steam locomotive originally a sugar cane loco in the Philippines 3' gauge“

There is no listing for the locomotive in steamlocomotive.info

Do you have anything to share about the history of the engine and how it wound up in Washington state?

Wesley

There are several 3' 0-6-0 Baldwins from The Philippines listed however, including one with a 1919 build date, but none are listed as traveling to WA: https://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocom ... play=21215

Here's a photo of one of these engines, still in service over there apparently, not sure what they did for a tender: https://www.steamlocomotive.info/largei ... hich=21234

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:29 pm 

The blue car coupled to the blue engine, and the black car coupled to the black engine, look to be wood rack tenders with roofs to keep the wood dry. The lower portion of the sides looks to be water storage, probably made from some old side tanks.... I'd guess.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 8:51 pm 

Rather than wood racks, I suspect these tenders carry bagasse, the stems and leaves of sugar cane plants, which were at one time a popular fuel for sugar locomotives. "Omaloma," an 1883 Baldwin 0-4-2T at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, was originally designed to burn bagasse and was later converted to oil firing.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 10:35 pm 

Bagasse is the crushed pulp remaining after cane is milled, which was the main ingredient of Celotex wallboard. The leaves are waste, removed before harvesting by burning the fields. The stalks are crushed in the cane press to obtain raw syrup. Bagasse is a very low grade fuel, but it could be used in these engines, or in any woodburner. In poor countries, lineside wood racks are soon emptied by the locals, so it is common practice to carry lots of wood on the locomotive rather than depend on being able to fuel up out in the field. It's impossible to tell which fuel is used from that foto, but it could be either...

The previous post is correct that Bagasse was at one time a "popular" fuel in the sense that it was commonly used. It was not popular in the sense of being considered desirable. Little engines like the Olomana could only carry enough Bagasse to fire up from a cold start. After refueling, their range was quite limited, but she COULD have been used for weighing cars. On the other hand, her bunker looks like it could hold 5 or 6 barrels of oil, enough to fire that tiny boiler for a whole shift without refueling.

Bagasse WAS considered preferable to using dried "meadow muffins", another locomotive fuel used in hard times.

Sammy King

Last edited by QJdriver on Sun May 28, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:56 am 

I think that PMC has hit it on the head...the locomotive in Washington is likely Hawaii Philippines Sugar Co. 0-6-0 No. 2, formerly in Silay, Philippines. We have its status listed as 'Unknown' at present, and have been told that it is no longer at that location. If the one in Washington is a match it should be Baldwin 52199 of 1919.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 6:00 pm 

Howdy,
Yes she was HP(Hawaiian Philippines) #2. My wife and I bought her and moved her to the States around 2000.She burned bagasse and it was carried on top of a car similar to the blue car behind the loco in the photo above. As soon as I can "find" all my paperwork on her I will try to post some pictures of her. According to the people at HP she was retired mainly due to size. She could only haul 2 or 3 cane cars. I don't know how familiar you all are with sugar cane, but it is extremely heavy due to the high water content. Burning bagasse was very labor intensive due to its LOW heat content, generally 2 men on the tender breaking the bales down, 1 man feeding the fire(constantly) and an engineer- so a 4 or 5 man crew just to run the locomotive. I will post more on the whole story of the move if there is interest.
Thanks for the interest,
Carl

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 7:18 pm 

CONGRATULATIONS and Best of Luck with her !!! Last I knew, Westfield Sugar Mill in Napoleonville, Louisiana dumped Bagasse behind the sugar house, and let locals take whatever they wanted. I bet they'd love to hear about your locomotive and would
give you all the fuel you care to haul off.

Sammy King

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 8:03 pm 

I am interested in the info you mention, among other things to update the record on steamlocomotive.info. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 9:25 pm 

PMC wrote:
I am interested in the info you mention, among other things to update the record on steamlocomotive.info. Thanks!

From the owner:
She was HP(Hawaiian Philippines) #2.
Baldwin c/n 52199 in 1919

Photo in Philippines from owner.

Attachment:
Philippine Steamer.jpg
Philippine Steamer.jpg [ 114.5 KiB | Viewed 2769 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 10:20 pm 

That is an interesting looking little bugger. You could almost put that in your pocket if your pants were baggy enough.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:06 pm 

Hi,
A little more info I managed to "dig up" here in my mess of stuff.
Baldwin class #6-12 D-69-70(this was for HP #1&2) constructed August 1919 Total Engine weight 26,700 lbs wheelbase 6'9". Cylinders 9x16. I will try to post some photos soon. As for price, we would like to get $25,000. That would include the engine, tender, and a bunch of parts. We do have the Baldwin spec sheet and a print from Baldwin negative # 5985, but I doubt they would scan well enuf to post.
Carl