It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Baldwin Vauclain Compounds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 1999 11:41 am 

I was just email chatting with another steam locomotive web master and got to wondering... Are there any other Baldwin Vauclain compound locomotives around that retain their original cylinders besides the Manitou & Pikes Peak Ry cog engines?<br>

Washington Steam RR's and Locomotives
brianfr@speakeasy.org

Post subject: Re: Baldwin Vauclain Compounds
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 1999 5:29 am 

Hi Brian;<p>To date, I have collected photographs of roughly 313 of the 1107 surviving Baldwins identified to date. In looking through these photographs, the MP&P cog engines appear to be the only surviving engines with Vauclain Compound cylinders remaining. It is hard to see the cylinders in some of the photographs.<p>P.S. Nice picture of M&PP #1. Is that the American Oil saddle tanker in the background? They seem to shuffle the exhibits in the Colorado RR Museum around quite a bit.

Surviving World Steam Locomotives
james1@pernet.net

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 1999 12:13 pm 

> Is that the American Oil saddle tanker in the background?<p>James,<p>That's the one. Here's a photo of it from my as yet, unfinished CRRM page.<p>Did you also notice the primer colored F-unit? I'm hoping to get down to Colorado next summer to see it now that they've completed it's restoration.<p>Brian<br>

Washington Steam Railroads and Locomotives
brianfr@speakeasy.org

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 1999 2:12 pm 

If memory serves me correctly, there is a Baldwin 2-8-0 (36") in Dawson City, Yukon Territory that is still a Vauclain Compound. I don't have the information at my finger tips, but I believe that it is still a Vauclain Compound.<br>

BobC19024@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 1999 3:35 pm 

According to Dave Conrad's STEAM LOCOMOTIVE DIRECTORY OF NORTH AMERICA, there were two Baldwin 2-8-0's at Dawson Creek:<br> S/N 7597 built in 5/1885<br> S/N 16456 built in 1/1899<br>The first engine was built for the Columbia & Puget Sound Ry. and eventually made its way to the<br>White Pass & Yukon as its #5. The second was built for the WP&Y as its #7. I don't know which one is the Vauclain Compound but my guess would be the second engine as I think this was the time period for these engines. I believe 1885 was too early. Anyone know for sure? <br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 1999 12:30 pm 

No. 7 (the 1899 engine)is the Vauclain compound. It is an outside-frame engine. No. 5 is an older inside-frame 2-8-0, much like the Colorado engines. I believe all the locomotives at Dawson are under cover, though in need of heavy restoration. The museum curator there was trying to raise funds for asbestos removal several years ago.<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com