It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Surviving DL&W "Boonton" Coaches List *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:57 pm 

The Boonton's at Mid-Continent are #s 425, 557, 563, and 595. I am not aware of any more ever being there. If #s 584 and 593 were supposed to go to Mid-Continent, I don't think they ever made it there.

Boyd Owens

Mid-Continent Roster Page
ddg14@attbi.com

Post subject: Re: Surviving DL&W "Boonton" Coaches List
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:40 pm 

I would love to someday see the W&W paint their fleet of Boonton cars Pullman green with Railroad Roman style lettering as either "Lackawanna" or "Wilmington & Western". I can see it in my mind: No. 98 in black with graphite smokebox and a minimum of striping (except on the driver center spokes) with a period font for lettering and numbering on the cab and tender and behind her a string of dark green Boonton cars with gold lettering-wow that would be something!! They do look good right now but admittedly I am a purist at heart.

> As I'm sure you already know, Tom, we
> repainted the #603 and #571 to match the
> paint scheme on #410 and #581 this past
> summer. It was pretty cool sanding down the
> old W&W blue and yellow and finding
> "Lackawanna" underneath. Seth

Post subject: Re: Portland Car and two more?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:17 pm 

Ok, some Honesdale info.

Besides the better known "Stourbirdge Line" railroad excursions (with several ex DL&W MU cars), there is/was another railroad-related attraction in the area.

The "Big Bear Farm" (I kid you not) at one time operated a two foot guage Krauss 0-4-0 and some open air cars on a short loop. They also had a standard guage CNJ coach and a caboose at their entrance. I never went into the farm area because I was short on cash the day I visited, one of these days I'll have to venture back and see if there is a boonton there as well. I did not find a website for the place, but there is a german-language page with a builder's photo of their steam engine at....

http://www.fischhausen-neuhaus.de/bocke ... l_loks.htm

Dave Crosby

http://www.fischhausen-neuhaus.de/bockerl/detail_loks.htm
bing@epix.net

Post subject: Re: Portland Car and two more?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 5:32 pm 

The car that was in the Portland yard for years was at some point a safety training car (or at least it was lettered that way). Sometime in the early 80's it was trucked out of Portland. At the time the story was that an individual had bought it and was planning to restore it in Honesdale. Obviously it is not anywhere on the Stourbridge Line that I have ever found. So either a) It was trucked to somewhere other than Honesdale or b) It's in someone's backyard.

I hope "a" is the correct guess.

Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society
tstuy@eldcps.org

Post subject: Re: Surviving DL&W "Boonton" Coaches List
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 6:48 pm 

> For your information:
> DL&W 565 = VRR 500 (grill car)
> DL&W 615 = VRR 501
> DL&W 577 = VRR 502
> DL&W 551 = VRR 503
> Also, at onr time there was a fifth DL&W
> car (number unknown) here, scrapped c. 1980.
> J.David

The fifth Boonton at the VRR was DL&W 596, which came from the "Middletown & Orange" operation of Empire State Rwy. Museum. It was one of the cars that did not get upgraded in the late 1950s by DL&W's Keyser Valley Shops-- 596 had wood window sash and the standing-seam steel roof. When it came to VRR in 1970, it was in poor condition, and was to become an open-air car. It was cut up about 1981.

Most of the Boontons sold in the early 1960s to the fledgling tourist railroad "industry" were the unrebuilt cars. When E-L ceased operating the last (best) Boontons in 1972, there was quite a scramble for those 20-some odd cars-- IRM, VRR, Steamtown, Mid-Continent were all competing for them via sealed bid to E-L's Mr. Curt Bayer. The last ones in service had the stainless steel Adlake sash, and solid roofs.

hpincus@mindspring.com

Post subject: DL&W Numbers of BR&W's "Boonton" Coaches? List
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:46 pm 

Howard and J. David,

Very interesting indeed! I must confess that both of you share some of the best tourist line stuff on this site. Thanks much for the info.

By any chance, do either of you know the original DL&W numbers for Black River & Western's five "Boonton" coaches? I know one is 610, but what about the others? They are the only preserved Boontons for which I do not have numbers.

Always curious,
K.R. Bell

> The fifth Boonton at the VRR was DL&W
> 596, which came from the "Middletown
> & Orange" operation of Empire State
> Rwy. Museum. It was one of the cars that did
> not get upgraded in the late 1950s by
> DL&W's Keyser Valley Shops-- 596 had
> wood window sash and the standing-seam steel
> roof. When it came to VRR in 1970, it was in
> poor condition, and was to become an
> open-air car. It was cut up about 1981.

> Most of the Boontons sold in the early 1960s
> to the fledgling tourist railroad
> "industry" were the unrebuilt
> cars. When E-L ceased operating the last
> (best) Boontons in 1972, there was quite a
> scramble for those 20-some odd cars-- IRM,
> VRR, Steamtown, Mid-Continent were all
> competing for them via sealed bid to E-L's
> Mr. Curt Bayer. The last ones in service had
> the stainless steel Adlake sash, and solid
> roofs.

http://rrmuseumpa.org

Post subject: Re: Surviving DL&W
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:01 am 

To resurrect an old thread, does anyone know how many Boontons are still in use?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:11 am 

Well, I haven't seen it posted here, but the Portland Office car in Honesdale is for sale on Ozark Mtn Rail.

http://www.ozarkmountainrailcar.com/det ... Coach-3966

"Built in 1915 as an open vestibule, open window commuter coach for the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad and operated on the "Boonton Line" out of Boonton, NJ. Converted by the DL&W into a training car in the 1930's. Retired by the DL&W and used as a yard office in Portland, PA until sold into private ownership."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:00 am 

Greetings:
All four of the Valley Railroad's "Boonton" cars are still in use as per my prior posting.
501-503 have been converted to roller bearing, 500 has been moved (at least for now) across the driveway and is semi-permently attached to the Dickinson Building.
J.David

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 pm 

The Boonton cars at the Black River are pretty much out of service at this point. I don't know what the issues are. The usual train is the 2 CN coaches and the CNJ combine, and sometimes the parlor car John Bishop (made from a CNJ coach).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:46 pm 

The cars at BR&W have been OOS for a long time,in need of major restoration
at a high cost level it is unlikely they will ever be in service again

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3467917
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1139676
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3845825
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=3845810

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:52 pm 

IronTie wrote:
The Boonton cars at the Black River are pretty much out of service at this point. I don't know what the issues are. The usual train is the 2 CN coaches and the CNJ combine, and sometimes the parlor car John Bishop (made from a CNJ coach).

The BR&W Boontons need major draft gear, coupler, truck and roof work. They were also taken out of service supposedly because they lack traps which the GM didn't like for safety reasons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 pm 

Mark Z. Yerkes wrote:
To resurrect an old thread, does anyone know how many Boontons are still in use?

Kurt Bell was maintaining a list of existing DL&W "Boonton" coaches; how many are actually serviceable I don't know, but perhaps Kurt will chime in on this topic. Arcade & Attica has three combines and three coaches; Wanamker Kempton & Southern has one coach; Wilmington & Western has one combine and three coaches; ditto for Mid-Continent; Virginia & Truckee has two coaches; IRM has three; Steamtown four; and the four at Essex previously mentioned by J. David. That's 28 cars not counting the four out-of-service at the BR&W.

This also does not count any of the "Boontons" that were converted to closed-vestibule trailers for the MU trains.

Alan Maples

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:31 pm 

Mid-Continent Railway Museum's DL&W 'Boonton' coaches continue to serve as the museum's primary operating coach fleet. They are currently in the middle of an significant truck/wheel maintenance program and are being cycled through one-at-a-time.

#425 (combine) - in service, wheel replacement and truck rebuild completed in May 2014
#557 - truck rebuild and wheel replacement in-progress
#563 - in service, wheel replacement and truck rebuild not yet completed
#595 - in service, wheel replacement and truck rebuild not yet completed

An attempt was also made in summer 1971 to acquire #591 but was unsuccessful. The four that were acquired were purchased in February 1972 (see attachment) and arrived at MCRM in May of that year. #557, #563, and #595 were museum-owned from the start, but as alluded to earlier in this thread, #425 was actually purchased by museum member Chuck Weisner and did not become museum-owned until some time later. The first three entered service shortly after their arrival at North Freedom, WI, but #425 did not enter service on museum trains until 1993.

- Jeffrey Lentz

Attachments:
File comment: Jan. 13, 1972 letter from Erie Lackawanna to Mid-Continent listing Boonton cars available for sale.
1-13-72-EL-car-list002.jpg
1-13-72-EL-car-list002.jpg [ 47.33 KiB | Viewed 7573 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:52 pm 

Here's DL&W/EL 565, being swung off the VRR main track at Essex onto disconnected "snap-track", to become the "Grill Car" food service car. Taken on the first Saturday in May 1972. This car was recently removed from this location and is now next to the old Dickenson's Witch Hazel Warehouse building (out of view to the right in this pic).

Attachment:
VRR grill car placement May 6, 1972 DLW 5650001.jpg
VRR grill car placement May 6, 1972 DLW 5650001.jpg [ 134.1 KiB | Viewed 7559 times ]

Howard P.