It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Railroad Wrecking Cranes (Derricks)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 1999 7:40 pm 

Rick Rowlands recently began an organization called the RAILROAD WRECKING CRANE HISTORICAL<br>SOCIETY. We are attempting to find out how many railroad cranes are still out there (the<br>Society would like to compile a list.) We need input as to:<br> 1. Which railroads still own railroad cranes<br> including tonnage capacity (120, 150,<br> 160, 200 or 250) and where usually locat-<br> <br><br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Railroad Wrecking Cranes (Derricks)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 1999 7:49 pm 

Continuation:<br> 1. and where usually located.<br> 2. Museums or Societies owning same (with the <br> same info as for the above.)<br> 3. Private parties (individuals, scrap yards,<br> etc.) with the same info.<br>Please send this info direct to the Society at:<br> http://members.aol.com/bighookX45/bighhook.html<p>(or you can reply to me or on these pages)<p>For the record; Rick has B&O 200 Ton derrick #X45 and our museum has a 150 Ton derrick (BRC #190). Both of us are trying to get these cranes moved. Thanks for any info you can furnish.<p>(Sorry for the goofed up original message.)<p> L. Beckman (Hoosier Valley RR Museum)<p><br> <br> <br>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 1999 1:29 pm 

Hey guys. I think it's really neat that you're cataloging the location of remaining wreckers. For what it's worth, the Strasburg Railroad, Strasburg, PA has a derrick. I believe it's a 200 ton. I have a few pictures of it; it you guys want one or two, email me(my address is above) and I'll scan them in and send them to you. Seth<br><br>

upacific@copland.udel.edu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 1999 4:12 am 

The Illinois Railway Museum has several. One is a large Bycryes Erie Ex C&NW that is used on occasion when there is large lifts needed. They also have a steam derrick that has opperated, but I don't believe that it was under steam, I think it was compressed air. They also have at least one maybe more from electric interurbans. <p>Steve<br>

SACarlso@SCJ.com