It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #759 objection over ruled
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 5:28 am 

I read Rick's comments about NKP #759's restoration, and I hear where he is coming from. Essentially, there are two Berkshires about to benefit from porkbarrel politics and the question arises as to whether it is worth it.<p>Well, I will chime in that #759 is worth it (and I don't really think it is porkbarrle spending, but it makes a better headline). Steamtown is one of the few places that can justify money spent on big steam, since they have a proper mainline to run it on.<p>I questioned a while bak the ISTEA money for #765, an engine which is just as majestic as suster #759 but really could wind up dressed for a prom she never gets invited to.<p>So, while all this goes on Mr. Campbell's big girl rots in Pittsburgh, yet provious efforts to get her to Steamtown choked on the $$$. So, however noble the owners may be, there is still that old bugaboo of money. I am not syaing they are wrong, but if the big one ends up supplying the edges for my next snowboard, it won't be from a lack of options.<p>If I had my druthers, I would see the gov't actually focus rail pres money on Steamtown and get the darn things running, or at least indoors. But the exception and the reason not to do that is...<p>Chama, Steamtown, Pen Argyl (unstable, stable and yet to be saved) combined to the 10th power don't equal a spec of coal dust at Orbisonia. IMHO, it is East Broad Top that deserves ALL OF THE GOVERNMENT RAIL PRES MONEY< ISTEA OR NOT until it is full secured, funded and stable. For this is the real national treasure.<p>Rob<br>

inlinebob@aol.com

Post subject: Re: #759 objection over ruled
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 6:10 am 

The comment posted above which says that the 765 "...could wind up dressed for a prom she never gets invited to..." implies that even after the running gear overhaul is finished, there's no place to go to run the locomotive. Rest assured, when the overhaul is completed we DEFINITELY WILL have places to go and trips to run with the 765. During our layoff for this running gear overhaul, I have stayed in touch with a several friends at "steam friendly" roads. I know that when we're ready for the road again, (which should be sometime in '01) they will agree to host the Berk on their rails for some steam trips.<p>With regard to the 643...<br>Yes it's a unique locomotive and an example of a type not currently running. It is also a HUGE machine and VERY heavy - much heavier than 765, 611, 614, 4449, 844 et al. It is ill suited to excursion service precisely because it's so big and heavy and has such a long driver wheel base. So long in fact, that the #3 driver is blind.<p>You guys have got to remember that owning and operating a steam locomotive is a BUSINESS - pure and simple. And it must be a profitable business, too. That may be why there is little support for the 643 because a knowledgable operator knows that it would be tough to find places where that locomotive could be operated at a profit.<p>With the 765, we've got a known machine with a long and proven track record. She has been a reliable and operationally flexible excursion locomotive for over 53,000 miles, and I know that sometime in 2001, the 765's odometer will start running up revenue miles once again.<p>As for the 759, I wish the VLR guys all the luck in the world and hope they are able to complete the overhaul on that Berk. Doubleheaded Berks charging up that hill out of Scranton would certainly get my attention!

NKP 765's Web Site

Post subject: Re: #759 objection over ruled
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 6:51 pm 

Count me in for the doubleheaded berkshires. <p>Also seconding the motion regarding the reality of the steam business. <p>I have to wonder about the potential useability of the Big Boy if that ever does get restored to operating condition. Playing devils advocate, I wouldn't want to either tie up my mainline if I were UP or BNSF, nor would I want that behemoth tearing up my branchline rail were I a shortline operator. 643 is a relatively ponderous machine even compared to Big Boy what with that rigid wheelbase that crosses two state lines. <p>FWIW, I would like to see the K4 and any of the high wheeled, long and lean fast Santa Fe 2-6-2's at speed on the mainlines myself. Just how many passengers does a mainline locomotive have to be able to haul to be financially feasable?<p>Dave <br>

lathro19@idt.net