It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abandoned steam operations
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 1999 12:36 pm 

While looking at slides recently, a couple questions came up. What has happened to all the equipment that was used at the Carroll Park & Western RR at Bloomsburg PA? Why was it built to the odd gauge of 4 foot? The buildings are still there the last time I was through Bloomsburg<p> What has happened to a privately owned two foot (or smaller) guage steam operation in Syosset NY. These slides were taken in 1962. Is the operation still there? Slides show one flatcar being pulled by a locomotive. <br>

jdstrolley@enter.net

Post subject: Re: Abandoned steam operations
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 1999 3:29 pm 

Mr. Dave Conrad we sure could use that updated directory! <p>I don't have my copy of the directory in front of me now so I'm going on my memory--I believe the following is correct--don't shoot if I'm wrong!<p>The Carrol Park & Western's Climax (ex-Elk River Coal & Lumber #3, converted from standard gauge) went to the Roaring Camp & Big Trees Narrow Gauge Railroad in CA. From what I've heard it needs a replacement boiler (more talk for the re-boiling thread!) to operate again.<p>The small 0-4-0 (I believe for a time converted to a 2-4-0, not a 100% sure of this) was an ex-Jeddo-Highland Coal Co. Vulcan tank engine #117 rebuilt into a tender engine by the CP&W, painted green and red and named "Durango". As I recall this locomotive was built to 48 inch gauge (along with 42 inch gauge, a common gauge for coal mine railroads and their "lokies"), hence the "weird" gauge for the CP&W tourist line. This locomotive and two of the coaches (I believe rebuilt from std. gauge cabooses--not 100% on this) first went to a general store attraction (I think the name was "Tuttle & Spice" or something like that) in VA. The last I heard the locomotive and cars were under private ownership by a person in NJ.<p>The CP&W had a ex-Newfoundland narrow gauge coach that went to join a sister car at the Pine Creek RR at Allaire State Park, NJ. The former CP&W coach is yet to be restored, but its sister coach is beautifully restored and is operated by the Pine Creek on its trains.<p>The CP&W once had a number of other cars including some standard gauge cars. One of these was an ex-PRR business car. I don't know the disposition of these cars. Anyone out there know (esp. the business car)?<p>If I'm thinking correctly the private railroad at Syosset, NY was that of the late William Willock (spelling?). I'm really pushing the old memory banks but I believe it was indeed two foot gauge and had a small 0-4-0T, either Porter or Davenport comes to mind. Willock died some years ago, so I'm not sure what happened to his railroad and the locomotive. Anyone out there know?<p>Best Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: of course I meant
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 1999 3:33 pm 

n/m<br><br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Sorry about that!
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 1999 3:39 pm 

Sorry about that! One more time!<p>Of course I meant to say "...more for the reboilering thread".<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com