It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More on William Willock's Indain Valley Line at Syosset, NY-
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 1999 11:23 am 

As promised here is a little history of this railroad.<p>Mr. Willock's two foot gauge railroad was known as the Indian Valley Line. It was built on his property near Syosset, NY during the 1940's and 50's. The I.V.L. was a rather elaborate private "estate" railroad that included an over and under wooden trestle. The I.V.L. lasted until 1962. The Davenport 0-4-0T (#16) was moved to Mr. Willock's property at Chestertown, MD. Mr. Willock also had a vast collection of antique steam- and gas-powered machinery (traction engines [tractors], road rollers, stationary engines, even a steam-powered cement mixer!) at Chestertown. Following his death all of these items (but not the locomotive) were donated to the Rough & Tumble Engineers Museum at Kinzers, PA (a fantastic exhibit of steam powered machinery near the Strasburg RR).<p>The Indain Valley Line locomotive roster included the following<p>#16, 0-4-0 sidetank, Davenport 1910, was originally built as a saddletank. Came from a mine in Idaho. Purchased by Willock in 1951 via Davenport who installed a new boiler and saddletank. Willock later changed the locomotive to a sidetank design. #16 was moved to Chestertown in 1962. Since his death #16's present status/location is unknown to me.<p>#44, "B.F. Jones", 2-4-0 tender engine, Porter 1902, originally built as a 0-4-0 saddletank for the American Steel Hoop Co. of Pittsburg, PA. Then to Carnegie Steel at Youngstown, OH. Purchased by Willock in 1944 and rebuilt as a 2-4-2 tender engine (with a 4 wheel tender). Changed to a 2-4-0 due to its trailing truck always derailing. NOTE: THIS LOCOMOTIVE WAS LATER SOLD TO THE FRONTIERTOWN AMUSEMENT PARK AT NORTH HUDSON, NY. It's present location?<p>#104, 3-ton 0-4-0 gasoline switcher, Vulcan 1925, ex-Foundation Co. of Kearney, NJ. It's present location?<p>A number of photos and a more detailed history of the Indain Valley Line can be found in Fredrick Shaw's LITTLE RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD (a great hard cover book, long out of print, but copies sometime turn up at train shows). The above information is from this book, Dave Conrad's directory, and my own personal notes.<p>Best Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Re: More on William Willock's Indain Valley Line at Syosset,
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 1999 10:51 pm 

I've found most of my Two Foot Gage Owner's Association articles on these lines. <p>All of Willock's engines are believed to be at Frontier Town near Lake George, NY (I don't have a map handy to locate this.) The Porter was definately sold to there in 1954, and a Davenport and what could be a Vulcan are parked at the enterance. <p>The Rome & Fort Bull is the line in Rome, NY. The 14 ton 2-6-2 steamer was reported built by a Mr. Nolan in Oswego, NY. The line was reportedly reopened using a Chance Products train. <p>This information was as of 1997 and 1998. I can scan some photos from the newsletter if anyone's interested. <p>NJD<br><br>

nickd@####yourinter.net

Post subject: Indian Valley Line Porter still at Frontier Town?
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 1999 3:58 pm 

Back on 1/12 Jerry Singer posted the question "Who bought the 24" gauge Porter that was at Frontier Town?" I was thinking he was refering to Mr. Willock's 2-4-0 #44, if so, it sounds like this engine may have found a new home recently.<p>Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

jrobinson@dataram.com

Post subject: Let's ask Bob!!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 1999 10:51 pm 

Actually, the report I was citing is attributed to Bob Yarger... Bob, are you there?<br>

Post subject: Re: Let's ask Bob!!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 1999 1:59 pm 

I stopped at Frontier Town a couple of years ago, but didn't pay the somewhat exhorbitant fee to get in. I did see Willock's 0-4-0ST and a little gas engine outside by the parking lot, plus a goofy little Plymouth gas-mechanical redone with some kind of tank for a "boiler". I presumed the 2-4-0 Porter was still sitting inside the park. The old guy who ran the train didn't seem to know the difference between a real steam locomotive and the Plymouth, even though he was old enough to know better, so not much information from him. He did say the "other" engine had been rebuilt with an Oldsmobile engine, so not sure if they somehow jury-rigged this into the Porter. The little 4-wheel tender, I believe, was used alternately behind the Porter and Plymouth. I now live not too far from Frontier Town, but the extra board does not allow free time to go wandering. The place looked pretty run down when I last saw it.<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com