It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a little fun
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 1999 9:12 pm 

we're always talking about serious stuff (rust, no money, etc.) here, so i thought it might be fun to have some fun for a change, since i think most of us here are professional volunteers and not paid professionals; we're here for our mental health, right?<p>anyhow, i was doing some switching saturday afternoon at spencer and one of the last jobs of the day was to put ACL E3 501 away for the night; she'd been brought out and set on one of the tracks coming off the turntable so we could get a coach into the pit track where she rests during winter; i was telling my engineer, "let's go get barney" and it dawned on my that somebody's joke about this "purple dinosaur" has stuck and we often refer to 501 as "barney"<p>do other folks have interesting nicknames for some pieces at their museums? out of respect for erik, i think we can pre-empt the profane nicknames attached to several cantankerous pieces, but how about some printable ones? <p><br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: a little fun
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 1999 11:27 pm 

At RMNE, our GE U25B is known as the "Boat" (for obvious reasons), and GE 45-tonner #42 is "The Critter". A few years ago, we leased a Connecticut DOT Shore Line East commuter train set for a Christmas operation; it was dubbed the "Wind-up Train".<br>