It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New York Metro Trans. Authority Line For Lease
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:28 am 

From TRRM on line magazine. From the City of Beacon to Putnam County line.

Might be of interest to a potential tourist RR operator.

http://www.atrrm.org/blog/2016/10/nymta ... agazine%29

Last edited by Jeff Lisowski on Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Organization clarification

Post subject: Re: New York Metro Trans. Authority Line For Lease
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:19 pm 

Might be dinner train fun, make sure all your equipment is -moveable- if there are lease problems, you need a fun and reliable leasee who understands what the operator needs.
Glad to see this happening instead of another ripem tracks out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:11 pm 

This is a dream opportunity for someone with vision, money and a large steam locomotive. It was a pretty heavy duty route and is quite scenic while still close to NY (and still connected to public transit). Dream big!

Rob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:45 pm 

Has anyone from the Danbury museum been notified since the press release? I think this would fall directly in their favor as the branch practically starts in their yard if I'm correct. That excursion they did years back with the FL-9s could once again become a reality that is they show interest. Wonder what's the track condition like, I don't think it's been commercially used for quite a while now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:37 pm 

This could be a golden opportunity for someone. I second the idea for a large steam operation. Being close to NYC. High population and 20+ miles would be perfect for a mid sized operator. It could also be a good place for a commuter operation. We sorely lack museums showing steam era commuter service. Since NYC is one of the capitols for that, it would be a good fit. Imagine a small commuter tank engine pulling 6 heavyweight commuter cars mostly full.

Does this line have connections for freight service should the operator choose to?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:41 am 

Remember my daydreaming of a line in this country similar to something like the UK's Great Central Ry.?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:16 pm 

Considering the viability of various new tourist rail options is a personal interest of mine. I gave this one a looksie today and I see some potential, and a few possible challenges.

Potential:
- Scenic part of New York state.
- nearby access to three interstates and the remarkably pleasant Taconic State Parkway.
- Proximity to major metropolitan area for potential riders/volunteers
- Historic Depots:
Beacon, appears unrestored-
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.501443,-73.9641028,3a,75y,26.42h,89.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXo_ZBf1x__3XaxYSVQC6VQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
and Hopewell Junction, restored, the base of a bike trail, a located bit off the actual route and home to a small depot museum.
http://hopewelldepot.org/
- A very rural and hilly portion of the route, east of Stormville, circumvents Depot Hill, and crosses the Appalachian Trail.
http://hikethehudsonvalley.com/depot-hill/
- About 6 lakes, ponds, or reservoirs are passed east of Holmes.
- Active industry appears to exist along the line at Fishkill, and in a few other locations there few possible industrial sites to develop.

Challenges:
- Only one active industry (apparently) is located on the line (Montford Brothers, a masonry manufacturer in Fishkill).
- Few good locations for staging an equipment yard and maintenance facility. Hopewell Junction may be the best of them.
- Active Bike Trail development immediately adjacent to the right of way, on the old second track alignment in the Town of Brewster. This may be an asset, but I would not be surprised if trail users would like to see the conversion of the rest of the railroad line, where the trail would need to replace the rails.
- The lease is only for the land in NY. Danbury CT is a short distance down the line further, but it is not a part of this lease arrangement.
- Much of the line passes through the extended back yards of homes on large lots, presumably reasonably wealthy suburbanites, and possible NIMBYs.

My hunch is that the county would like to develop the line as a bike trail, and this effort by NYMTA is an effort to see if other rail use is interested by any parties, as they don't see it necessary for their commuter operation.
But this is just a guess, I have no information regarding actual intentions of any parties.
O.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:57 pm 

A few bridges over 2-lane roads have been removed for better road clearances; the girders are "nearby".

There has not been a tie inserted in that line since the early 1980s. For 30 miles, figure replacing 50,000+ ties to start, if speeds above 10 mph are desired. $125-140 per tie, including disposal of old tie. Mostly jointed 131 RE rail, in decent shape.

Numerous grade crossings which will have to be placed in service, or completely re-equipped with updated warning devices.

NO, I repeat, NO potential for freight service. NONE.

Yes, many NIMBYs adjacent. Rich ones, with lots of money for lawyers. And some of them ARE lawyers.

Heavy grades in each direction to Pohquag (sp?) Summit--- 1.5% or so. EB a bit less. Many curves as well.

It would be a great "proving ground" for big steam power-- AMC Berks, RDG T-1s, etc. But: expensive to operate and rehab, needs a base/terminal facility, and then we need cars, etc, etc. And don't say "Danbury", the portion in question does not go there, or near there.

I would not be surprised if MTA attaches "conditions" to any lease/operating agreement. MNCR's ACRE operating union (rather powerful) would very likely be the paid crew on any operations, especially passenger, on this line.

Howard P.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:14 am 

Actually, the segment between Beacon and Hopewell Jct. was tied and surfaced in 1989. This portion of line (operated by CR as the Danbury Secondary) - unlike the Maybrook Line - was relaid in the 1940s with 107# rail. The portion of line between Hopewell Jct and Derby-Shelton had heavy rail and had been well maintained. It was placed in service following restoration of the bridge at Shelton, a CDOT initiative.

The work was done to support movement of traffic between New Haven and Selkirk, at a time when the Boston Line (B&A) was in the process of being single-tracked (with TCS) and clearances improved to 19'4" ATR, with extensive track lowering at many locations.

We (CR) used this route well into the 1990s, by which time the effects of our use were showing and the decision was made to sell the line.

I trust Howard sees this note as a mere clarification, rather than a "correction"!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:08 am 

Paul, I had forgotten the Beacon Branch rehab and lumped it all together. Thanks for clarifying and jogging the memory.

About 1990-91, RMNE looked at the Beacon-Hopewell Jct segment as a location for our operations. Discussions with Dutchess County officials resulted in a formal study by a consulting firm working for the County. The results were "inconclusive" (good demographics, but high costs) and around that time, our opportunity opened up in the Naugatuck Valley of Connecticut.

The idea of big steam battling uphill at Whaley Lake is stirring, but it would take incredible amounts of money to make it happen.

Also, to those looking at pics of the line in New Haven days, it is incredibly grown in with trees now. Amazing how quickly the northeast has been returning to forests; views from the potential "scenic train" are of close-in trees, without extensive cutting.

Connection to the outside world: CSX/MNCR at Beacon. "You wanna move a WHAT to Beacon, NY??"

I suspect this RFP is merely a prelude in the Kabuki dance to remove the track and make a trail. Or, to have "someone else" pay for maintaining the route for a few more years, "just in case we might need it someday".

Howard P.
Cynic Summit, NY

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:06 pm 

The real opportunity here lies with Beacon, which has been a magnet for the NYC creative community since Dia: opened. Walk down Main Street on any given weekend and it seems half of Brooklyn migrated north (at least of the mustachioed/flannel-wearing variety). Add the area's various hiking/bike trails, art studios and flourishing locavore dining scene make for serious potential to create an operation with real cultural context. It would be a perfect storm of alignment for Gov. Cuomo's "Taste NY' and "Paths Through History" initiatives, which would hopefully warm them up to the idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:42 pm 

If the Mt. Beacon Incline Railway ever gets rebuilt, that would be another draw for Beacon. I was fortunate enough to ride it in the early 70s.

Attachments:
170d0100.jpg
170d0100.jpg [ 116.93 KiB | Viewed 11221 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:44 pm 

Howard, we'll stuff those ties in and surface up the track. I think I know of an example of "big steam" that might look right at home on a line like this, lol.

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 pm 

Howard, who controls the segment from the state line to Danbury in CT? MNCR? CTDOT?

Rob Gardner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:00 pm 

Section from NY State border east to Danbury is owned by Housatonic Railroad HRRC (or one of their subsidiaries, Danbury Terminal, or Maybrook Terminal, etc.). It is occasionally used by Sperry Rail for hi-rail test truck commissioning; Sperry HQ is nearby in Danbury.

HRRC sold the line in NY State to MTA in the early 1990s. They may have retained freight rights for the future, "just in case". The sale was a nice windfall for HRRC.

I still think this RFP is a prelude to a trail. In NY politics, that stuff is pre-ordained (see: CMRR, ADK, etc.).

Howard P.