It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Geigertown equipt status?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:57 pm 

Anyone know the status of the Geigertown PA collection? Who to contact?

janklorenzen@msn.com

Post subject: Re: Geigertown equipt status? *PIC*
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:24 pm 

Jan,

I ran across the Geigertown collection last Fall as my wife and I "took a drive" to kill some time while we waited for my sister, who lives not to far away in Exeter to get home. Basically, we took a right and found ourselves detoured on to the road where all the equipment was. Of course, my wife thought I did this on purpose. ;0) I really didn't, but...

There is some very neat equipment there including a PRR clearance car, several small steamers, several small diesel/gas-mechanical locos, a bunch of ex-Reading cabooses, and some old construction equipment. I think I remember a PCC car or two. Some of it looks like it had some new paint on it and the rest of it looked pretty rusty. Appears there is a scrapper/metal company across the street that might be the owner. Not sure as I was never able to get any more info and never got around to making a post here.

Here are a few pics I was able to grab. I have some more if anyone is interested. Anyone care to share anything else about this interesting collection?

Until later,
Chris

> Anyone know the status of the Geigertown PA
> collection? Who to contact?

Geigertown equipment
crhauf@frontiernet.net

Post subject: Re: Geigertown equipt status?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 7:41 pm 

The story I heard of this equipment is that it is owned by a the family of a steam mechanic who was killed in a tragic crane accident. I think their name is Shirley or Shirey. I have also heard that it is not available for sale or donation or anything else.

Tom Gears

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:12 pm 

Dave Conrad's book lists the Porter 0-4-0T as belonging to David Shirey, who I believe was killed some years ago when the cab of the RR big hook he was operating was crushed in a rollover.

> The story I heard of this equipment is that
> it is owned by a the family of a steam
> mechanic who was killed in a tragic crane
> accident. I think their name is Shirley or
> Shirey. I have also heard that it is not
> available for sale or donation or anything
> else.

> Tom Gears

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?december02/12-22-02/soo2645.jpg
ryarger@rypn.org

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:33 pm 

Bob,

I remember seeing a business with the name Shirey on it by the equipment, but knew nothing of the history of the equipment or the owner. Thanks to Tom and you for the added, albeit sad, info.

Until later,
Chris

crhauf@frontiernet.net

Post subject: Geigertown Central RR...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:46 am 

...was the name given to this assortment of equipment. The late steam mechanic was "D.J." Shirey, best known for his work with 425 and 2102 on the Blue Mountain & Reading RR (and later the Reading & Northern). He also did work on the "homemade" Shay locomotive that operates at the Rough & Tumble Museum at Kinzers, Pa. He was killed about 10 years ago when the railroad derrick he was operating overturned while clearing a derailment.

The two steam locomotives are former steel mill switchers. There's a 3-foot gauge Porter 0-4-0T from Phoenixville (Pa) Steel and a standard gauge Alco 0-4-0T from the Phoenix Iron & Steel (nee-Central Iron & Steel) plant at Harrisburg, Pa.

The standard gauge engine (former PI&S 12) had went along with the Harrisburg plant's 0-6-0 5 (nee-PRR 643) to the Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine Assiocation near Harrisburg. The 0-4-0T was used briefly at Williams Grove and then went as a static display at the old Summerdale Junction Restaurant on Route 11 across from the Enola Yard. From there it apparently went to Geigertown.

"D.J" also owned a former Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. Porter 0-6-0 Fireless Cooker, which is/was stored on the former BM&R RR at South Hamburg, Pa.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

Post subject: That Porter fireless cooker.....
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:46 am 

> "D.J" also owned a former
> Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. Porter
> 0-6-0 Fireless Cooker, which is/was stored
> on the former BM&R RR at South Hamburg,
> Pa.

That engine came from the Sunbury Steam Electric Station at Shamokin Dam, one of two built by Porter in 1949 and among the very last steamers built (I think they built St. Elizabeth's 4 a few months later in 1950). The mate is also "preserved" somewhere on the West Shore/Lewisburg & Buffalo Creek, having been purchased by a private owner or group from the power plant's static display when PP&L sold the plant.

lner4472@bcpl.net

Post subject: D J
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 6:11 pm 

> The late steam mechanic was
> "D.J." Shirey, best known for his
> work with 425 and 2102 on the Blue Mountain
> & Reading RR (and later the Reading
> & Northern). He also did work on the
> "homemade" Shay locomotive that
> operates at the Rough & Tumble Museum at
> Kinzers, Pa. He was killed about 10 years
> ago when the railroad derrick he was
> operating overturned while clearing a
> derailment.
> Regards,
> Jim Robinson

DJ was also heavily involved with the Reading Co. T & H S.

After nearly ten years, yes we still miss him.

He helped us out alot with his family's trucks and cranes, and was on the RCT&HS board for a while.

DJ helped make successful the 1985 return to Reading (from Pittsburgh) and operation of 2102 on Conrail by RCT&HS.

Some pieces of the RCT&HS collection are there at Geigertown (for over 15 years) waiting to get moved someday to our museum-to-be. Our restored Reading caboose #92832 was donated by the Shireys.

On behalf of RCT&HS, thank you Shirey Family.

The Shireys' project at Geigertown was to build track around the farm and then onto the abandoned grade of the Reading's Wilmington & Northern Branch. It was just starting to come together when the accident took DJ. He was only in his twenties, and left behind a wife and daughter.

Post subject: Re: Geigertown Central RR...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:06 pm 

HI I AM DJ SHIREY BROTHER. WE ARE KEEPING EVERTHING THAT IS THERE IN HONOR OF MY LATE BROTHER. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO COME AND TAKE PICTURES IF THEY WANT. KIETH DORN AND MYSELF ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE NICE RAILROAD. BUT IT IS HARD. IT TAKES ALOT OF TIME AND MONEY.ANY? EMAIL ME AT SHIREYTRUCKING@AOL.COM THANKS FOR THE INTREST IN THE OLD STUFF.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:09 am 

Dear Paul,

Thank you for writing. I can empathize with your sentiments, as I recently lost a family member recently who had amassed a large collection that he was very passionate about - which makes deciding its future very difficult. Please know that on this board there are many people that share your brother's passion for saving objects from the past for future generations - and we are all interested in helping this equipment survive in the best way possible. Please keep us updated as things occur, and let us know how we can help.

Sincerely,
Tom Cornillie

> HI I AM DJ SHIREY BROTHER. WE ARE KEEPING
> EVERTHING THAT IS THERE IN HONOR OF MY LATE
> BROTHER. ANYONE IS WELCOME TO COME AND TAKE
> PICTURES IF THEY WANT. KIETH DORN AND MYSELF
> ARE TRYING TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE NICE
> RAILROAD. BUT IT IS HARD. IT TAKES ALOT OF
> TIME AND MONEY.ANY? EMAIL ME AT
> SHIREYTRUCKING@AOL.COM THANKS FOR THE
> INTREST IN THE OLD STUFF.

altoonaroundhouse@umich.edu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:23 am 

> ...was the name given to this assortment of
> equipment. The late steam mechanic was
> "D.J." Shirey, best known for his
> work with 425 and 2102 on the Blue Mountain
> & Reading RR (and later the Reading
> & Northern). He also did work on the
> "homemade" Shay locomotive that
> operates at the Rough & Tumble Museum at
> Kinzers, Pa. He was killed about 10 years
> ago when the railroad derrick he was
> operating overturned while clearing a
> derailment.

> The two steam locomotives are former steel
> mill switchers. There's a 3-foot gauge
> Porter 0-4-0T from Phoenixville (Pa) Steel
> and a standard gauge Alco 0-4-0T from the
> Phoenix Iron & Steel (nee-Central Iron
> & Steel) plant at Harrisburg, Pa.

> The standard gauge engine (former PI&S
> 12) had went along with the Harrisburg
> plant's 0-6-0 5 (nee-PRR 643) to the
> Williams Grove Historical Steam Engine
> Assiocation near Harrisburg. The 0-4-0T was
> used briefly at Williams Grove and then went
> as a static display at the old Summerdale
> Junction Restaurant on Route 11 across from
> the Enola Yard. From there it apparently
> went to Geigertown.

> "D.J" also owned a former
> Pennsylvania Power & Light Co. Porter
> 0-6-0 Fireless Cooker, which is/was stored
> on the former BM&R RR at South Hamburg,
> Pa.

> Regards,
> Jim Robinson
I saw the fireless sunday as I drove by. I don't know what shape its in. bb

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:24 am 

DJ was a budding icon in the eastern PA scene when he was killed... a preservationist, railroader and all around good guy.

I will never forget the night I heard about the accident. It was the day or two after it happened. A few buddies and I had completed a day of hijinx in the anthracite fields looking for touchstones of what once was, and had attempted to drain the Yeungling dry during a pierogi and steak dinner at the Hotel Switzerland in Jim Thorpe. We went over to East Chunk for cigars and to watch a westbound work up the old LV main. Two Conrail employees were doing the same and relayed the bad news to us.

It was such a shock. The day sticks out in my mind for the fun we had, and the sad ending.

trains@robertjohndavis.com