It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 614 corrections
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 5:10 pm 

A reader wrote in today to correct an error I made in the 614 Brief, and to ask for clarification of my cryptic remark about the Chessie 614 web site.<p>First the correction--my correspondent notes that I said "During much of the late 1980s and early 1990s 614 was stored again <br>at the B&O Museum. In the mid-1990s she was removed from the Museum and <br>transferred to the New Hope and Ivyland steam shops in New Hope, Pa., where <br>she was returned to operating condition."<p>And corrects by noting that:<p>"In truth, she spent all of her non-operating years in the 1980's chained up <br>at Cumberland, not in Balitmore. She was outside for a spell, and then was <br>under a steel shed. Financial considerations kept her there.<p>In 1993 she was towed under steam to the B&O Museum for safe keeping while <br>Ross tried to get the 21st Century Limited off the ground. This was also <br>about the time #614 was "sold" to Ross's friend (whose name escapes me). The <br>#614 was servicable at this time, though work was needed. I saw her under <br>steam in Septemeber 1993."<p>This is all quite correct, and my thanks for setting me straight.<p>As for my remark, I simply wanted to warn that the story on Ross' site glosses over chapters of the engine's career, omits many changes of location, and perhaps mildly misrepresents some issues, e.g., Ross didn't buy the engine, he traded 2101 for it.<p>I didn't clairfy in part becasue I was writing early in the morning and was tired; but that's no real excuse; in the future if I have any reservations I'll spell 'em out and let you folks judge for yourselves.<p><br><br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

Post subject: Re: 614 corrections
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 1999 7:49 pm 

Eric: Another correction; Number 614 was among a number of engines that were leased to the Richmond, Frederick & Potomac during a traffic upswing on that line in the mid-50's. The problem with the 614's number came about at this time when it was discovered that one of the RF&P's 4-8-4's that was taken out of storage at this same time was ALSO numbered 614(!) Since the RF&P couldn't have two locomotives in service with the same number, the number plate on C&O 614 was chiseled away and changed to 611 and when the engine eventually was placed on display, she was still so numbered! <br>

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: A correction, and a correction to the correction
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 9:08 am 

First the correction to the correction:<p>614 did have a numbering conflict with RF&P "Statesman" class 4-8-4 614. But it was because the C&O leased RF&P 613-622 in 1955, not because the RF&P leased C&O 614. (C&O vandalised its own loco, not the one it had to return to another owner.) They worked the James River sub during that time.<p>Second, Cumberland? I'm pretty sure it was Hagerstown. Rowland did the original 614 overhaul there, it was stored there from 1981 to 1984, and returned there after the ACE runs. It was also there while 2100 was being overhauled. If it got moved to Cumberland, it was after 1988.<p>JAC<br>

Post subject: A correction to he... ah whatever!!!!!! Re: A correction, an
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 1999 10:52 am 

JAC and the first correction seem to both be right. She spent time at both.<p><br>