It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ross Rowland's BC line
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 7:23 pm 

he says he'll be using ex CP engines. What engines are these, and where are they now?<br>

spitfires_and_nascar@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Ross Rowland's BC line
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 10:31 pm 

Jerry Joe Jacobson, president and owner of the Ohio Central, is partners with Ross Roland in this operation. He told me personally a couple of months ago he MAY be sending ex-CPR Pacific 1293 out west.<br>

robsterne@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Ross Rowland's BC line
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 1999 11:08 pm 

John Craft reported last year that power would be new Chinese steamers. Another source claimed rebuilt existing Chinese steamers. Any truth to these stories?<p>By the way, Rowland's letter explaining the 614 sale on the 614 webpage (http://www.chessie614.com) includes two links that are supposed to have more information on the railway. Unfortunately, neither works!

The Ultimate Steam Page
whodom@awod.com

Post subject: Other possibilities Re: Ross Rowland's BC line
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 1:08 pm 

Have heard that Steamtown may have a home for some of the Canadian steam stored at Tobyhanna.<p>Also remember Jack Showalter's CP G5's are available and fully servicable. Jack kept things in great shape.<p>I would not be suprised to see at least 4 G-5 4-6-2's running on the line.<p>Patch<br>

Post subject: virginia central: still in staunton
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 7:56 pm 

i've not chatted with jack showalter in a couple of years, but when i took a swing through staunton, va. in mid-january, the two ex-CPR pacifics were indeed there and under tarps; <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: VC: update of the update
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 8:11 pm 

patch inspired me to call jack showalter; jack, at age 72, is doing well and his voice is good and strong and he's still looking ahead; jack provided a lot of wonderful times for me as a young man while at the alleghany central in covington, va.; he said he's working with the folks who want to create the "civil war scenic" railroad on the ex-SR line at strasburg, va.; those who were at the tourist railway assn.'s annual meeting in cass last fall recall seeing a presentation on that possible new line in the shenandoah valley; for those who remember his daughter, sally, the good news is that her scare with cancer a few years ago seems to be a fading memory; sally was the first female fireman i'd ever met, and a darn good one at that; i wish all of them well;<p>so... looks like these 2 G5Ds are gonna remain on the atlantic side of the pacific; <br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Canadian Pacific G5's
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 9:28 pm 

if the AC engines are staying put then the only servicable G5 is the 1293. while the OC owns both the 1293 and the 1278 the latter is in need of major firebox repairs at a minimum due to the crown sheet failure on the gettysburg. the 1246 is still owned by the Railroad Museum of New england and is currently on static display in Essex Ct.the only other G5 in existance is the 1201 and i am unaware of its current status.<p>Al P.<br>

alp@cheshire.net

Post subject: Canadian Pacific G5 1201
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 1999 10:48 pm 

ex-CPR G5, 1201 has not operated in over 10 years and is currently in inside storage, and not on public display, at the Museum of Science and Technology in Ottawa. I can't recall off hand the specifics, it apparently needs a lot of work before it can return to service.<br>

robsterne@hotmail.com

Post subject: Re: Other CPR Locomotives?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 8:50 pm 

With all the G-5's accounted for and seemingly unavailable, what about the one of the other CPR steam locomotives. At the time that the CPR reacquired #2816, they said that of 48 preserved CPR steamers none other than #2816 was available to them. Assuming that the two remaining Selkirks (2-10-4's) and 4-8-4's would be too heavy for the BC branchline trackage could a G-3, a 2-8-2 or one of the ubiquitous 4-6-0's become available? If it's one of the latter, I trust Ross will have the good sense to not put a Belpaire firebox on it.<br>

kevingillespie@usa.net

Post subject: Re: Other CPR Locomotives?.....What if........
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 1999 9:42 pm 

Perhaps all would have made sense if Ross had been able to make a trade with Steamtown.A trade of the 614 for Canadian steam? Seems like he could have killed two birds with one stone.<br> <br>

BTamper@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Other CPR Locomotives?.....What if.......How abour a CN?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 1999 6:17 am 

Should've talked about a trade of the CN 5558 (4-6-2)and the CP 2929 (4-4-4) for 614.. but transportation will aways be the problem.. and .. the former is CN, not CP, but was reported retired with very few miles on a Class 5 overhaul <br>