It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surviving NYOW Equipment
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 1999 7:20 pm 

http://www.nyow.org/al_scranton.html<p>Dear Friends<p>I came across this page which is based on the NYOW Historical Society at www.nyow.org. It is a well-written article that is a great description of present-day remains of the NYOW Southern and Scranton Divisions. Of particular interests are the remains of two NYOW RPO, and one Baggage car that remain in Baumann's junkyard, located in Mayfield PA (scroll down 5/6th of the way down the article to find their mention and photos). Has anybody ever tried to preserve these cars? If so, why have previous attempts failed? Could they still be saved?<p>Also worth a look are the very, very sad photos of the remains of a wood coach and caboose at the same site. A reminder to all of us of what neglect will ultimately do.<p>Sincerely<p>UJ205@hotmail.com<br>

Southern and Scranton Divisons of the NYOW
uj205@hotmail.com

Post subject: More thereRe: Surviving NYOW Equipment
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 1999 8:26 am 

Baumnn's is filled with mining equipment and mine trains plus some other standard gauge equipment that is not O&W. There are also over 11 40' steel box cars a few miles north in Carbondale. One there is CB&Q.<p>The O&W equipment includes 2 NYOW RPOs, one Baggage car, wooden coach across the street, a burned wooden coach in the yard site... and the ulitmate rarity which you probably missed. <p>Across the street and south a block is THE LAST O&W MILK CAR!!!!!!<p>It was the post office and is now a home. It is remarkably intact, apparently some of the draft gear remains!!!!!<p>There are O&W milk trucks in exisitence, and since she is wooden restoration would be possible.<p>Hmmmm....<p>Patch<br>

Post subject: Re: More thereRe: Surviving NYOW Equipment
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 1999 1:16 pm 

I think that is the junk yard that charged Steamtown $5000 each for 3 DL&W steel coal cars (badly rusted-out) a few years ago.<br>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 1999 9:26 pm 

You should see the nice cosmetic restoration done by our shop forces.. they really deserve a hand..<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 1999 10:18 am 

Being a freight car buff, I was glad to see those coal cars in 1995 when they arrived. Had heard they were looking much better these days, and am looking forward to seeing them soon.<p>Interesting that no one has mentioned NYO&W steel-underframe caboose 8301, which is nicely restored and located in the backyard of a Valley Railroad engineer, near Deep River, CT.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 1999 2:09 pm 

Howard wrote:<p>Interesting that no one has mentioned NYO&W steel-underframe caboose 8301, which is nicely restored and located in the backyard of a Valley Railroad engineer, near<br>Deep River, CT. <p><br>True. If we are to list them all, there is a caboose in Santa Monica, CA and observation car in Arcade, NY a flanger in Phillipsburg, NJ and more that I am not thinking of right now.<p>Patch<br>

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 1999 11:08 pm 

I thought there were a few NW-2<br>s and 70 tonners in existence. Not sure though...<br>

paulkattner@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 1999 4:06 pm 

There are 2 44 tonners 104 and 105, and two NW2s #115 and #116. I volunteer with the C&CV, where this picture of #116 was taken. There maybe a third NW2, not sure yet.<br>

blayjk06@oneonta.edu