It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: C&LC equipment disposition ?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 5:44 pm 

To follow up your list, aside from CUT #25, the Whitewater Valley only ended up with one Osgood Bradley coach NYC (B&A) #1135. We did purchase an Erie Stillwell from the Marquette & Huron in 1985 (Erie #2331) that is a short arch window car (1926). It has be suggested that this car is an ex-C&WI car. Any chance that it left the C&LC and went to the Marquette & Huron? Could it be one of the > Two ex-C&WI Stilwells - to Rockford, MI parallel to GR&I/PRR/PC/MIGN for a Lionel/American Flyer, etc display ? OR do you think there could have been a fourth Stillwell? OR maybe no link at all?

David Farlow
Whitewater Valley RR

hudson.industries@att.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 6:54 pm 

> To follow up your list, aside from CUT #25,
> the Whitewater Valley only ended up with one
> Osgood Bradley coach NYC (B&A) #1135. We
> did purchase an Erie Stillwell from the
> Marquette & Huron in 1985 (Erie #2331)
> that is a short arch window car (1926). It
> has be suggested that this car is an
> ex-C&WI car. Any chance that it left the
> C&LC and went to the Marquette &
> Huron? Could it be one of the > Two
> ex-C&WI Stilwells - to Rockford, MI
> parallel to GR&I/PRR/PC/MIGN for a
> Lionel/American Flyer, etc display ? OR do
> you think there could have been a fourth
> Stillwell? OR maybe no link at all?

> David Farlow
> Whitewater Valley RR

David:

There wwere actually FIVE Stillwell's on the C&WI, in addition to the C&A coach and an arch roofed combine. I hope you find out if your car is an ex-C&WI coach. Have you compared photographs?

Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, IN)

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: C&LC equipment ?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:20 am 

I recall more or less accidentally running across the operation at Limon in June 1984. It was late in the evening and there was no one around, but I recall photographing ex-MILW chopnose geep #994 and two passenger cars spotted in front of the depot ready for a departure westbound. There was a SW-1 #82, painted grey with C&LC lettering, idling apparently after spotting some gons for loading at a scrapyard east of the depot.
I stopped by again in September 1991. This time I photographed several passenger cars; C&LC #5203 and #5207, MILW #655 and #X408. There was UP caboose #25670, Rock Island Bay-Window caboose #17085 in fresh paint, and the carbody of a heavyweight pullman car sitting atop a piggyback flat. On my next trip through in 1994, the whole collection was gone and the ex-RI track west had been ripped up.
Dan

dan-rohrback@cox.net

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:15 pm 

> David:

> There wwere actually FIVE Stillwell's on the
> C&WI, in addition to the C&A coach
> and an arch roofed combine. I hope you find
> out if your car is an ex-C&WI coach.
> Have you compared photographs?

> Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad
> Museum/North Judson, IN)

Les, you reminded me of something else we bought at the auction of the M&H in Michigan, two Erie archbar passenger trucks and couplers. None were in good shape, but do suggest that one more Stillwell had made it to the M&H and apparently was cut up at some point. These trucks have been our passenger car "shop" trucks for many years now.

Finding photos of any C&WI Stillwells has not gone well and I have never found the Rosetta stone that converts the old Erie car numbers to C&WI numbers. Kalmbach has a Chicago area book that does show a C&WI commuter train and the Stillwells are of the same "arched window" design as ours.

David Farlow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 11:08 am 

> Les, you reminded me of something else we
> bought at the auction of the M&H in
> Michigan, two Erie archbar passenger trucks
> and couplers. None were in good shape, but
> do suggest that one more Stillwell had made
> it to the M&H and apparently was cut up
> at some point. These trucks have been our
> passenger car "shop" trucks for
> many years now.

> Finding photos of any C&WI Stillwells
> has not gone well and I have never found the
> Rosetta stone that converts the old Erie car
> numbers to C&WI numbers. Kalmbach has a
> Chicago area book that does show a C&WI
> commuter train and the Stillwells are of the
> same "arched window" design as
> ours.

> David Farlow

David:

My money would be on the C&WI Stillwell's being ex-Erie. Remember that the C&WI was owned by the railroads that served Dearborn Station. In other words, the Santa Fe (no Stillwell's); the C&EI (no Stillwell's); the GTW (no Stillwell's); the WABASH (no Stillwell's); the Monon (no Stillwell's) and the Erie (STILLWELL'S!) The "kicker" in this is the ex-C&A heavyweight coach that C&WI rostered. Obviously it came from a non-C&WI owner so that the C&WI obviously bought used equipment from other railroads too. It sure would be nice to find out for sure. But then, I would also like to know the original owner (if not bought new) of the C&WI's lone combine. Ahhh, the riddles of rail preservation!

Les

midlandblb@cs.com

Post subject: Re: C&LC equipment disposition ? *PIC*
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:12 pm 

> David:

> My money would be on the C&WI
> Stillwell's being ex-Erie. Remember that the
> C&WI was owned by the railroads that
> served Dearborn Station.

I think it has been documented that the C&WI bought the Stillwells used from the Erie. In fact these arched window cars appear to have been ones the Erie was phasing out anyway (86 passengers. 72+ feet long). A few of these 2300 series seem to have been put into MOW service by the Erie with steel plates over the windows. These cars are older, shorter, and have fabricated arch bar trucks, somewhat different than the 2400 series and very different from the 2600 series semi suburban Stillwells.

The following notes are on George Elwood's site
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cwi/cwi.html Photo shows the combine with a commuter train, no year listed.

David Farlow

On passenger equipment of the C & WI, from 1950 to the end on its own passenger service on Aug. 28, 1964. Cars as listed in the second listing you have; some further details follow.

#39 86-seat Coach (ex-Chicago & Alton built for "Alton Ltd." as a parlor car in 1912; rebuilt by C & WI as coach but with stained-glass windows intact) --went to Cadillac & Lake City Ry. (Lake City, MI) [abbrev. CLK from now on] as CLK #39 (80 seat coach) in 1964
#40 48-seat coach/baggage disposition unknown
#42-46 86-seat Coaches, all ex-ERIE "Composite Stillwell" coaches, built by Standard Steel Car, 6/1926.
#42-45 went to CLK (same numbers) in 1964
#46 went to CLK in 1965, was rebuilt by CLK as 64-seat Coach-Buffet #46
General notes: (1) CLK disc. passenger service as of 7/18/72. What happened to these cars after that date I do not know (but if anyone does, I'd love to know). One from #42-46 supposedly ended up at Rockford, MI, as a Model RR Exhibit Car. (2) One coach from #42-46 was originally ERIE 2306 (original numbers of others not known). Michael Prosch

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/cwi/cwi.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:06 pm 

Gee, how did I miss this thread on another "fallen flag" steam tourist line from the 60s/70s (a favorite subject for me). Oh well, everyone covered the C&LC in greater detail than I ever could have.

I did run across some online scanned postcards from the C&LC that may bring back some memories.

First one (see below link) shows ex-Kelley Island Lime 0-4-0T 11 and a single Stillwell coach.

I'll post the links to the other two in following posts.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

C&LC 0-4-0T 11 & Stillwell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:15 pm 

Next (see below link), is ex-Rayonier (nee-Saginaw Timber) 2-8-2 2 with another single coach train.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

C&LC 2-8-2 2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:18 pm 

Lastly, 2-8-2 2 is working a wintertime CL&C freight train.

Regards,
Jim Robinson

C&LC 2-8-2 2 on freight train

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:29 pm 

Th combine, #40, languishes at the museum in Monticello, IL. I recall it was owned privately, and is shoved way back on the old IT line they used to use for excusrion service. It is a very sad sight, and would be a huge but interesting restoration project.

Post subject: Re: C&WI combine
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 12:58 am 

> Th combine, #40, languishes at the museum in
> Monticello, IL. I recall it was owned
> privately, and is shoved way back on the old
> IT line they used to use for excusrion
> service. It is a very sad sight, and would
> be a huge but interesting restoration
> project.

I believe MRM would give #40 to anyone who would move it off the property. Interested?

midlandblb@cs.com