It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Response to Redondo Editorial
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 1999 11:28 pm 

Yes, each one of us can ponder "What If?" Unfortunately, there comes a time in the life of a project when you have to commit to a specific plan. I imagine that the San Bernardino and Fullerton projects passed that time a some time ago. For an admitted outsider to commend each as "noble in intent" and to continue, in the same sentence, state that the plans "draw energy, interest and money away from the one (Redondo Roundhouse) that should be first on the list" is unreasonable.<p>Each of these projects require a tremendous amount of resources; time, money, community support, etc. The key is money. Most grass-roots rail preservation efforts start with little or no money. As a result, these groups seek some sort of local civic assistance. Anybody who has sought public money knows it is a long process. Believe it or not, within each community are competing preservation minded organizations who want a particular old house restored before anything dealing with those filthy, dirty railroads. Get use to it! The general public image of our rail preservation movement is not the greatest.<p>Once a particular project has the interest/support of an elected official, the effort must be wary of term limits as your elected friend may not be there next year. Additionally, stressing the civic support may be other interests within the local agencies and constitutes. While monitoring support for an alternative plan, an organization may lose its support for the original plan thus putting both plans at risk. Chosen plans are selected based upon the level of support at a crucial moment and thereby opening the organizations to criticism with the passage of time.<p>As a reflection of the overall railfan community, rail preservation remains fragmented along lines of personal/local interest. Compounding this situation is that available resources for the rail preservation community are limited. While we wince and argue over various "what if" scenarios, we must, collectively, celebrate our individual successes. Many, if not most, rail preservation efforts are based on reality, not on fantasy as Bob Yarger has suggested.<br><br>

Post subject: Question re Redondo?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 1:09 am 

I haven't been following this issue, but it strikes me that Amtrak gets Federal dollars, and federal dollars can't be used to tear down a National Register or National Register ELIGIBLE structure without a great deal of fuss at the least under Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.. has anybody tried to get the thing declared just eligible by the state Historic Presevation Officer, an unelected bureaucrat? The National Register office itself in D.C., far removed from local politics? <br>

ruddlong@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Question re Redondo?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 3:14 pm 

You mean the same Amtrak that just tore down the 1840-era Guilford, Conn. station, which WAS on the State Historic register (and I think on the National register as well) ?? There was a lot of huffing and puffing afterwards, but the end result was the building was gone, legally or not. I doubt any one is going to jail or getting fired over this sort of thing.<br>

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 8:43 pm 

B.Yonger states the former Union Pacific Fullerton depot(now a speghetti restaurant) is across the tracks from the former Santa Fe depot; in fact it is on the same side of the tracks, separated by a small parking lot. Also at the same "transportation center" is a former Pacific Electric depot, also separated from the others by another parking lot and itself now another restaurant. Just to correct the record.<br>

stevedonaldson@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 1:57 am 

Has anybody talked with Amtrak to see what their mood is? How many projects have come and gone simply because the owning railroad had other intentions? Perhaps it would be helpful to see if Amtrak has even considered preservation as an option. If not, any interested organization has a long battle ahead of them.<p>Gerry<br>

hrrhs@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Amtrak re Redondo?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 1999 5:20 am 

Amtrak would like to wake up one morning and have it gone. I wish they would compromise and end the project with the 11 stall removal and leave the rest for the next generation. I have been hearing for years how the next earthquake will knock it down, Its been there almost 100 years and is still basically sound. The sad truth is, can Southern California handle another rail preservation facility? How about one in a hard to reach, poor quality location? I think we should concern ourselves with saving Redondo Jct interlocking tower, at least it can be moved. <br>

Whistlepig@worldnet.att.net

Post subject: Redondo Jct. Interlocking Tower
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 1999 5:56 pm 

1. Is the facility currently opertional or abandoned?<br>2. Who currently owns this structure?<br>3. What is the future plan for the structure?<br>4. If the future plan includes demolition, is there a local organized effort to preserve it?<br>