It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Request regarding Vapor Caban
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 am 

Can someone with reasonable drafting software please produce a full-scale layout of the installation template given on page 2 of the Vapor Caban manual (as generously provided by Mr. Levin and hosted for us by Mr. Schlentner) and send me a rights-released copy? I am planning to try re-typing the text in the manual as hypertext, and this seems like a reasonable opportunity to replace the graphic in the original (format-limited) manual with something that could be printed out full-sized at a place like Kinko's to be used directly as an installation template without recourse to laying it out on wrapping paper or whatever. This if restricted to one layer with minimal metadata should be a very small vector file.

Post subject: Re: Request regarding Vapor Caban
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:53 pm 

Simple enough that I can knock it out, full scale, tomorrow afternoon (10/10), It'll be in PDF format unless you prefer EPS or AI. It would have to be printed on a large format printer/plotter, though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:59 pm 

What I had in mind was a format (or set of converted formats) that could be stuck on a thumb drive and taken to a place like FedEx/Kinko's to be printed at full scale there (for a couple of bucks). The idea of course is that you c=get something accurate that can go straight to the restoration site to be used. I made use of their large-scale print capability for some GG1 drawings and to facilitate annotation on of the early PRR T1 drawings retrieved from the Pennsylvania archives.

I don't remember which of the common drafting-program vector formats these places can 'read', or the relative size of native files generated in different formats, but they might be considerbly smaller than a rasterized map image (which I think is what a PDF of vector output represents, although I'm prepared to be corrected). As a guess, I'd say they know the Autodesk interchange format (.dxf} so that would be a 'first choice' even though like GIF it's "proprietary".

Thank you for all of it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm 

I sent you an email via RyPN, not sure you got it. Need your email address. You can respond to that or use the email button below, then I can respond with an attachment. I have a full scale, CMYK, vector PDF which is pretty much universal for commercial printing. File size is small, too.