It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fullerton Railroad Plaza
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 7:23 am 

I don't want to split hairs, but in the latest editiorial, the author mentions the former Union Pacific Station in Fullerton and refers to it being "across the tracks". It originally was located there, yet moved and restored into a Spaghetti Station restaurant now next to the Fullerton Santa Fe Depot. As a Fullerton resident, close to the action, I doubt I'll live to see the Fullerton Railroad Plaza plans come to fruition. I support it, but have my doubts as to the resolve of the City Fathers(Mothers).<br>

Post subject: Re: Fullerton Railroad Plaza
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 2:47 pm 

does greater LA need another railroad historical focus effort? If you could combine the collections, money and effort of Pomona, Perris, #3751, Traveltown, Lameda, and now Fullerton into 1 (one) railroad museum serving the whole of LA - that would be a GREAT railroad museum - second only to IRM (if that).<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

Post subject: Re: Fullerton Railroad Plaza
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 1999 3:04 pm 

Jim, I am not sure that combining museums into one grandios affair would necessarily increase the scope or quality of some of the museums you mentioned. My own bias is to preserve historically significant artifacts. Not every old building is historic; nor is every old piece of retired rail equipment. The history that goes with the artifact creates significance for those who come to museums. Orange Empire has a Carter Bros. (I believe) narrow gauge coach which was converted to a residence after its retirement. Many visitors muse about what it would be like to raise a family in a former railcar. Of course this car has other significance from its in-service days. Still, if a narrative could be developed to bring those days to life, the car becomes a more interesting piece of history. To sum up, several well-told stories about small collections throughout southern California may, in fact, be better than a massive, difficult-to-maintain, full-scale collection.<br>

Post subject: economies of scale
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 1999 7:16 am 

when you consider how much time, effort and money goes into maintaining the organization - members, insurance, land payments, shops, meetings ..................<p>compared to restoration efforts -<p>that's where the benefit comes in.<br>