It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Saving them all
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 3:29 am 

Well there is a lot of debate here about what to save and what needs the money. Here is one from my hometown of Wilmington. This is what they call the old B&O Freight House. There is not a lot of information on this structure but folks want to save it.<p>Now here is the thing. It is right next to the restored Wilmington Amtrak (PRR) station, a few miles down the line the is the restored Newark Station. There is the Wilmington and Western a few miles away and several other railroad stations saved in private hands.<p>Now this building is great. It looks cool and the last real B&O Station in Delaware. <p>I hate to see it gone. Lots of people think we need to save it but what can we do with it? Who is gonna pay for it?<br>

Post subject: Re: Saving them all
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 5:03 am 

I just passed through Wilmington yesterday on Amtrak back to D.C. and saw this fine old building. I hope it can be included in some preservation effort.Even with the destruction of many rail lines and their structures, there still exist many depots and other rail related buildings surviving in various states of deterioration that are candidates. Just south of Wilmington there is a wood-frame depot rotting away. And as we passed Newark, I saw some fresh grafitti spray-painted right on the face of the restored depot...<br>

JMFouchard@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Saving them all - can't be done, but
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 1999 11:33 am 

save them if possible - as a restaurant, chamber of commerce, dry cleaners, whatever - once they are gone - they don't ever come back. Years from now, perhaps it would be possible to restore the depot to it's former glory - if it's still there.<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org