It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Doyle McCormack's PA Plans
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 12:04 am 

Just wondering what the opinions were among the preservationists here about Doyle McCormack's plans to paint the PA he's keeping into NKP "bluebird" colors and number. Granted, it's his engine to do what he wants with it, and with all his work to bring the PAs back, he's certainly earned the right and expended the money and effort to do what he wants with it.<p>Still, I think painting it up into NKP colors seriously reduces the historical value of what is a near-priceless railroad artifact. Any other opinions, positive or negative?<br><br>

dave833@ix.netcom.com

Post subject: Re: Doyle McCormack's PA Plans
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 12:41 am 

Dave, I agree with your first paragraph. I do not agree with your second. If there were more Doyle McCormacks in this country, there would be far more "near-priceless railroad artifacts" around and operable. Also, if there were more steam operators like Doyle, there would be more steam on Class 1's. If Doyle wants to paint it purple and green and call it "Barney's Railroad", I say go for it. <br>

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 2:19 am 

Diesels, like automobiles, are mass-produced, making it feasible to create reasonably accurate replicas of those that no longer exist in real life. The PAs can be NKP this year, SP Daylight the next and Santa Fe the year after that. The perfection of this art comes with the little details that are added or subtracted, which makes scavenging those little parts worthwhile. Model railroaders have done this for years, but in 1:1 few have, usually settling for just a paint job. Lacking the trucks, Doyle had to settle for nearly-identical FMs, but lacking them, could have probably used other nearly-identical ones from Dutch electric locomotives. Internally, the PAs will use 12-cylinder 251s, not 16-cylinder 244s, which puts them in the category of UP's E units, which are modernized inside but externally quite faithful. Too bad Doyle couldn't have saved the Rio Grande's second PB heater car, which still had the Alco trucks and was little-modified externally. When I found out that it had been sold for scrap, I contacted both the RR Stores Department and scrap dealer, who had just cut it up. Neither had the slightest idea of its historic importance.<p>Given a choice, I'm always for total authenticity, but diesels can be an exception. There are plenty of ex-PRR and CB&Q Es left, also Milwaukee FP7s and a few others. Thus, it wouldn't really be a crime to make one into a Frisco "Racehorse" E or Rock Island FP7 to suit the territory. But the external details should be correct before applying $100 a gallon paint.<p>One question on PAs... Where was the 16-cylinder 244 engine used other than the PAs? Alco engines were also used in stationary power plants. Might some have been 16-cylinder 244s?<br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 1999 1:47 pm 

I guess my vote goes as follows:<p>while it isn't a crime to paint it up non-ATSF, it's close! <p>I can't go for painting up something that never was - ie - a SP GG1 for example.<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 1999 6:20 am 

Doyle once told me he'll paint it Santa Fe, IF I bought all the stainless steel panels !!! Can you say "money pit" ? =) <br>

brownie.23@gateway.net