It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: call me a railfan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 4:17 am 

well, here's my weekend - just ended.<p>After watching my two little ones play baseball, it was off to Division to chase SP #2353 from the border into Campo with a period freight train and caboose. Multiple photo run-bys and a GP9R pulling a following pasenger train to boot. Nice day - on Saturday.<p>On Sunday, six former Museum Presidents along with 200 guests climbed aboard the passenger train at Campo bound for Tecate, Baja California, Mexico. The event was a birthday party for two of the former Presidents. The trip down the hill was made with my three kids in a mint caboose, SP #1061 immediately behind the 4-6-0 #2353. Whistling into town, the local boys and girls all were out trackside all along the way - waving at the iron horse. A wonderful lunch was served in Tecate, famous for beer. The trip back was unbelievable for me - understand that 24 years ago I was chipping paint on Cafe-Observation ATSF #1509, and that an operatimg Museum was but a dream. Now, for the next 57 minutes and 12 miles, I rode the platform of a restored observation car, behind a restored ten wheeler, on a railroad leased to the museum! And, to top it all off, my kids brought me chocolate cake and coke - two servings. - WOW!!! <p>If it get's better than this, I want to know how!<p>Top off the weekend by floating in the hot tub with the full moon - please don't wake me up.<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

Post subject: Re: call me a railfan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 1999 10:47 am 

Oh shut up......and pass the beer and ice cream. <p>Not as glamorous but most of Sunday working on shop wiring, tested both air compressors I rebuilt and the dynamo for GOAT which all seemed to work first go, worked with two volunteer apprentice machinists replacing a valve gear bushing, and rearranged the heavy stuff clutering shop so we could get at the overhead lights to fix them and moved the NC&O car to where it could be jacked up for truck and underbody work. <p>All done while dealing with a "Doggy Carnival" which had rented the roundhouse and resulted in dozens of canines from rat size to pony size running around along with an odd assortment of dog nuts, dog stuff vendors, and children who were worse behaved than the damn dogs! I agree with W. C. Fields about dogs and children.....<p>Seems to me there should be some limits on what kind of events a museum is willing to host to make a few bucks in terms of wear and tear and loss of dignity too. <p>Nice meal and trip behind that beautiful 4-6-0 to exotic and temperate cliimes would be a nice change. <p>Dave<p><br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: Re: call me a railfan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 1:38 am 

Was W.C. Fields a railfan?<br>

wyld@oc-net.com