It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cabeece
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 8:38 pm 

Today's "Brief" got me to thinking. Can a caboose be made Amtrak compliant? Has anyone done this?<br>

Post subject: Re: Cabeece
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 1999 9:59 pm 

It also got me thinking.<p>The sad thing about the whole thing is that a caboose is so easy to pick up from railroads that are getting rid of them by the dozen, many places are adding to collections that are in poor shape from lack of proper care and storage which allows the weather to rust equipment faster than staff can restore it.<p>Having one of every kind of caboose sounds like a novel idea but does a it really help tell a story. Can a museum tell the story of the brakeman, conductor, and rear end flagman a dozen times better with a dozen cabooses on the property? Or is it just another item to tax an underfunded and understaffed museum that has way more than they can handle, properly house, or present to the public in an manner that is educational. Such places are often looked at as junkyards rather than museums and collecting more does not help this image.<br>

Post subject: Re: Cabeece
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 1999 12:06 am 

Well a few years ago i acually rode over a portion of the northeast corridor in my caboose as part of a AMTRAK work train. Talk abuot collecting rare mileage. But seriosly would not even aproach the idea of making a Caboose AMTRAK compatable.<p>Al P.<br>

alp@cheshire.net