It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Half a Heavyweight?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 8:07 am 

This is not a model post! But the other day I received (unsolicited) a model brochure that showed models of what appear to be three axle single-trucked passenger and baggage cars. My first thought was "half a heavyweight". Do any of these little cars exist? I'm guessing they were designed for low-cost/low-speed on branch lines.<br>

Post subject: Re: Half a Heavyweight?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 1999 7:32 pm 

If you're talking about the Walther's Piker & Oscar(I think that's what they're called) kits then I think you've been duped. I think they're reissues of kits from the 60s, and as far as I know they have to prototype. But dont't they look cute? (ugh!)<br>

davelecount@juno.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 12:02 am 

I kind of chuckled when I first saw these. I myself wondered if there was a prototype. Just imagine the ride one of them would give on rough rail.<p>Gerry<br>

HRRHS@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 1999 1:20 am 

Thanks for the info. I thought maybe they looked a little unlikely but I was curious - it never hurts to ask. Thanks again to all.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 1999 2:27 pm 

<P>Actually, there are prototypes, and I have had the pleasure of riding in one. In 1992, I was in Germany, working at IBM. On the weekends, I went railfanning. At the Pigtail Bahn line, down by the Swiss border in Baden-Wurtemburg, there was a car with 3 single axles wheelsets. I just about crawled under the car to figure out how this could be. They have a spring arrangement on the center axle to keep the wheelset centered. As the the car was an antique, I am going to guess that it was a logical extension of design when passenger cars began to increase in length. The car was longer than its two whheel counterparts. <br><br>

jim1522@aol.com