It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: C & O 614
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 4:45 am 

<P>Does anyone know if Steamtown will bid on the 614? Are they allowed within the NPS guidelines? She would be a great additon to the collection.<p>Alan<br>

AlanL759@aol.com

Post subject: Re: C & O 614 & Steamtown, with thoughts on
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 6:27 am 

<P>As a Scranton resident and speaking without any knowledge of the park's intention, I seriously doubt that will happen but I will reiterate I DON'T SPEAK FOR THE NPS-(I DON'T WANT RENO'S RAIDERS AT MY HOUSE) <p>Seriously, Steamtown's trend has been to let engines go, UP 737, CP 2816 to good homes rather than bringing new engines. <p>As much as I would love to see the Greenbrier hammering up Nay Aug, the work now is to getting the CN 3254 operating to have two road steamers on hand. Without the '54, backup road power is the NKP 514 that struggled with a 6 or 7 car train last year. Additionally, The Baldwin 26, their go anywhere, do anything engine is out of service. <p>Remember also, that the PRR 1361 is in their shop as well as the B&M 3713. Its likely the next candidate for restoration action is NKP 759, once funding is secured for asbestos abatement. That engine was run hard and if rumors about improper winter storage are true, then its going to be a far more extensive restoration than you might think. There was also some talk about a year and a half ago about restoring the IC 790, because it could theoretically switch hit.<p>Of course, I hope before somebody goes and antes up some serious money without thinking of the pasture requirements of such a big engine, they consider the following:<p>In 1995 Steamtown bid on the BLE 643 and was ready to make big changes to accomodate it. Instead, they were outbid by somebody who had no staff, no facilities and basically no hope of ever seeing the engine run. Notice how the R&N's 425 and 2102 aren't running and they have a railroad!! I can't see how the thrill of ownership lasts very long under those conditions<p>The same person could have approached the park about establishing an operating lease partnership with them and we might be seeing it now (assuming it fits on the turntable which caused all the POCONOS to have stubby tenders) but then again, that's another story. <p>Instead, she sits. (HINT for you guys that day- trade and went short in January. Don't buy, partner!!! )<p>Personally, I wish they'd get a AA set of E's or and ABA set of F's, or even because diesels are a part of the story of steam, the still unpunished killer & eminently more practical as rescue power so they could go someplace farther than MOSCOW <p>It was great when the "DLW 807/808" visited.<p>-Willie <p><p><p><br><br>

Post subject: Re: C & O 614 & Steamtown, with thoughts on
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 12:41 pm 

<P>To begin, I sincerely hope that the 614 is purchased by a party able to use it. <p>Scranton is my temporary home as I am attending college there, so I only act as an observer. <p>Steamtown needs to get projects done before they can consider tackling more. I also see more trading to get region-relevant stock instead of bids on more engines. It would be great to see 614 in the poconos, but I don't see it happening. <p>I do think that it hurts steamtown when they are short on power because something needs maintenence.--Last season's necessary repairs on CP 2317 are a case in point--Only so many people are available to work on the many engines in the shop, so the timetable gets pushed back.<p>I think that it would be good if they got vintage Es or Fs--I believe that they did have an F unit years ago. I don't know if it is stored or was auctioned off. <p>However this can be a double-edged sword. They get fexibility, but other issues arise.--Lately, I have noticed that in the rain, with only one steam engine, NKP 514 is put on the point to assist. Since rain seems to be a constant in Scranton, I can only hope that this is a temporary measure--To become dieseltown in inclement weather is not good either, but diesels can complement the steam not replace it.<p>Some may have the attitude that even NKP 514 gives it a hint of becoming "dieseltown", but the transition era issues are still applicable today.<p>It is late while I write this, so I am sorry if it is incoherent or repetitive.<br><br>

baniaj2@uofs.edu

Post subject: dieseltown Re: C & O 614 & Steamtown, with t
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 7:54 pm 

<P>Joe,<p>When I was at da'U for four years in the 80's, it really was "dieseltown." I don't think anyone wants to go back to that.<p>The NPS has sold off the F-units they had, so I would expect to see more of a focus on keeping the stable of steam running.<p>#2317 has been trouble ever since she rolled over way back when. The engine is not true. Take a look at her from the front. Some believe her constant running gear work is a result of this.<p>The question even casual obsiervers need to ask is how does Strasburg keep an entire fleet of engines running (including retirements and full restorations) year in and year out almost year-round with 10 times the use Steamtown gives its engines, yet Steamtown (with gov't $$$) cannot field three engines for a whole season on a conisistent basis?<p>The Durango & Silverton (and even Cumbres with all its trouble, EBT, Strasburg, Grand Canyon and others all manage to keep multiple engines running.<p>There is something to asking this.<p>Patch<br>

Post subject: Re: dieseltown Re: C & O 614 & Steamtown, wi
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 1999 11:48 pm 

<P>Might want to drop EBT from that list.<p>While technically there are indeed four operable engines (12, 14, 15, 17) out of six surviving MIkados, only the 14 is up to anything like the demands of regular weekend service. She was rebuilt by Linn Moedinger of Strasburg around 1991. Basically, keeping up with maintenance on 14 week in and week out is about all the EBT's small steam crew can handle.<p>Of the other 3 working engines, 12 and 15 are in OK shape but wouldn't enjoy regular weekend use on EBT's unballasted trackbed too much; 17 pulled up lame during this past fall's Specatular with leaking flues. <p>In short, EBT has four operable Mikes only precisely becuase three of them only get used two days a year.<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 12:49 am 

<P>since it's been five years since i stuck my head into steamtown's shop, good common sense tells me to shut up and not speak here; (but then again, if i had good common sense i wouldn't be here right?)<br>so...<p>it's tough keeping more than 1 engine up and i suspect the demands of running at a speed above a walk (seems like when i was at steamtown for an excursion in the fall of 1994, the 2317 got up and romped along at 35-40 or am i dreaming of something else?) and working them on a grade with a pretty decent train add to the wear and tear; <p>also, who knows what kind of shape those canadian jobs were in when they were put back into service.<p>as for my own experience at spencer, where the speed is never above a walk and there is no grade to mention and only a 3-car yard shuttle, we still manage never to be bored between november and march; there are core teams that focus on on a particular engine and draw from each other to "make it happen" or when there's more work or less work to be done on one engine or the other; basically, it's a juggling act and a tough one at that! <br><br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 1999 5:56 am 

<P>I feel that when they do reactivate 3254, Steamtown should consider making it the primary road engine. Granted, a Mikado is not thought of as a passenger engine, but the 2317 should not be used regularly. It seems to perpetually be in the shop. My freshman year at college it was in the shops, then last tourist season, sophomore year, it needed work done, and over the winter it needed even more work done. <p>I think that they were lucky to get a good engine in the 3254 especially from a trade, as I believe that the only problem I remember them having with it was a clogged sander on the trip to Analomink.<p>Eventually we will probably see neither of the canadian engines running as once the American ones are active, who needs more than two active steam locos at a place called steamtown :)<p>Not to intentionally stir up that wasp nest, but many still see Canadian----and see red. I am not one of those and am glad for any steam engine to be running--responsibly, no matter what is on the sides.<br>

baniaj2@uofs.edu