It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Inroduction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 1998 1:58 pm 

Hello everybody! My name is Gerald Kopiasz and I am glad to see another discussion board. Especially one on preservation. I am writing this just to introduce myself. <p>I am seventeen years old and I reside in Omaha, Nebraska. 1998 saw my first involvement into the railroad preservation scene when I started the Heartland Railroad Historical Society. This group is dedicated the preservation of one of the last standing Burlington and Missouri River Railroad's (a Chicago Burlington & Quincy affiliate) peaked roof roundhouses. This interesting and unique structure was built in 1884 to a standardized plan. At one time, these structures were spread throughout the state of Nebraska. Now only two exist. Our structure is located in Nebraska City. The structure is in very, very bad condition.<p>I started this project as an experiment that I hope proves successful. So far I have had a fun and enjoyable time working on this project. I realize that I have a long road ahead of me, but I feel that I am ready for it. We have started to run into that problemt that every other group hits, and that is money. I feel that this will only make things more interesting and challenging. <p>One thing that I have realized is that I get dumb looks from some people when I discuss this project. These people generally are business and municipal leaders. I haven't yet determined if this is due to my age or if they are new to the idea of railroad preservation. <p>Well, this is my story in a nutshell. I would like to hear some your guys' stories. I you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to talk to me. <p>Happy Railfanning!<br>Gerald Kopiasz <br><br>

HRRHS@AOL.COM