It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turntable Thanks & Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:04 am 

Thanks to all who replied to my turntable query, and I'm sorry I made a mistake in my e-mail address. This one is right, in case anyone else has info to add that came back to them. Some questions that have come up are: can anyone confirm if IRM at Union or NRM at Green Bay have a turntable stored somewhere? Was the Knox & Kane table at Marienville moved there, and if so from where? Is the Belfast & Moosehead Lake table original or moved there, and if so from where? Where did the Frostburg table on the Western MD Scenic come from and how long is it? How many tables does TVRM in Chatanooga have, where from and how long? Where is the table donated to the West Coast Ry Heritage Park in Squamish, BC from and how long is it? Does Mid-Continent in N. Freedom, WI have one stored? And is there one stored in Prairie Du Chien, WI, and if so from where? I'm only looking for tables that have been moved from one point to another, where they came from, what RR, how long, and when. Thanks again to all.

rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Turntable Thanks & Questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:26 am 

Where did the Frostburg table on
> the Western MD Scenic come from and how long
> is it?

Elkins, W.Va, Western Maryland Ry. Don't know the length.

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:32 am 

Is the Belfast & Moosehead Lake
> table original or moved there, and if so
> from where?

Belfast--original
Unity--relocated; ex-BAR from Limestone

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:35 am 

Hey Ron,
I think the Knox and Kane turntable was sold to the Long Island RR group that is working on returning #39 to steam there. Sorry I don't remember their webpage address off the top of my head, but they had it reported on there at some point recently.

Mike
Western VA RR Preservation Society

> somewhere? Was the Knox & Kane table at
> Marienville moved there, and if so from
> where? Is the Belfast & Moosehead Lake

Yenko117@yahoo.com

Post subject: Re: Turntable Thanks & Questions - Correction
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:47 am 

Sorry, I found the link, the LIRR Museum's table came from the Arcade and Attica in upstate NY. Not sure where the Knox and Kane table went.

See link below...

Mike

> Hey Ron,
> I think the Knox and Kane turntable was sold
> to the Long Island RR group that is working
> on returning #39 to steam there. Sorry I
> don't remember their webpage address off the
> top of my head, but they had it reported on
> there at some point recently.

> Mike
> Western VA RR Preservation Society

http://www.rmli.org/images/PostBoy/PostboySpring2003.pdf
yenko117@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:03 pm 

> How many tables does TVRM in
> Chatanooga have, where from and how long?

TVRM has one turntable on its property, at East Chattanooga. It was relocated from Cedartown, GA (ex-CofG). Don't know the length.

Last year the town of Summerville, GA, installed the turntable formerly at the L&N's Boyles Yard in Birmingham, AL, in a park. TVRM excursions have used this turntable to turn this year. Trackage between Chattanooga and Summerville is owned by the State of Georgia and operated by the Chattooga & Chickamauga RR.

JAC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:20 pm 

Another turntable that has been moved is a 90 foot Pere Marquette from New Buffalo, MI. It is now in Owosso,MI at the Steam Railroading Institute. It was moved in the year 2000. Earley this year five feet was added to each end of the bridge making it 100 feet long. In late summer the pit was put in and the bridge was placed. Volunteers this fall have put the deck and track back on the bridge and built track to it and into a new 60x120 ft building. This coming weekend the Pere Marquette 1225 will be turned on it and put into the new building.

http://mstrp.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:50 pm 

I see on the website that there are roundhouse foundations on the site, is this the area where the table was installed? Thanks!

Joshua

Post subject: Re: one more
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:48 pm 

The CB&Q / C&S turntable from Denver, CO, is stored on the C&TS at Chama, NM. The C&TS Commission accepted it in 1996 or 1997. It is a typical CB&Q through-truss table.

JAC

Post subject: Old AA roundhouse site
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:56 pm 

> I see on the website that there are
> roundhouse foundations on the site, is this
> the area where the table was installed?

The foundations for the old (c. 1900?) Ann Arbor Railroad roundhouse and turntable pit were exposed for a while and appear in some photos. These buildings were razed to ground level in the mid-1950's by the railroad, and the massive foundations were entirely removed as a site-remediation project of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality in 2001, along with the demolition of the steam plant and backshop that formerly housed PM 1225 and the machine shop. The new turntable is near, but not on the same center as the old one.

Aarne Frobom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:47 pm 

Hey John, I was going to mention this one, but was not sure of all the details. There was another table at the Sundown and Southern. Did that table go to Boulder? I heard 2nd hand that one of the 2 did, but wasn't sure which one. I was hoping Jason Midyette (sorry if I mangled your name, Jason) would weigh in on the one in Boulder.

Later - Mike

> The CB&Q / C&S turntable from
> Denver, CO, is stored on the C&TS at
> Chama, NM. The C&TS Commission accepted
> it in 1996 or 1997. It is a typical CB&Q
> through-truss table.

> JAC

yenko117@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:53 pm 

> There was another table at the Sundown and
> Southern. Did that table go to Boulder?

I am only aware of one turntable at the Sundown & Southern - the former D&RGW Alamosa, CO turntable. It was purchased by the good people of the Sumpter Valley Railroad in Sumpter, OR.

JAC

Post subject: More turntable questions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:05 pm 

The stockyards table of the Tarantula RR is possibly from the Santa Fe in Saginaw, TX, but where is the one in Grapevine from? Where did the Western Minn Steam Threshers at Rollag, MN, and Historic Prairie Village in Madison, SD get theirs?

rdgoldfede@aol.com

Post subject: two more
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:02 pm 

The former PRR turntable from Berwick, PA is awaiting installation on the GSMR at Bryson City, NC.

Also, the former PRR turntable from Tyrone, PA was transplanted in the late 1940s to Bellefonte, PA for use by the Bellefonte Central RR. The last I knew, it was still there.

K4s1361@hotmail.com

Post subject: What was/is the longest turntable?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:55 am 

I did some web searches and it appears that the Union Pacific installed some 135 foot long turntables at various locations such as Green River and North Platte in order to handle the Big Boys.

Were there any tables longer than 135 feet out there?

Any 135 footers that have survived?

JimE

jrevans@accuREMOVEsort.com