It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is status of SP steam crane at WRM?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:18 pm 

In this 2011 thread, an SP steam crane was offered by Western Railway Museum (Suisun City, CA), lest it be scrapped.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31581&start=30

What was the outcome?

Vital stats:
SP MW #7100
Industrial Works
Serial # 2248
Built 1910 (oldest surviving SP wrecker?)
Donated to WRM in 1976

Post subject: Re: What is status of SP steam crane at WRM?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:35 pm 

All I can say at this point is that we are very hopeful that it will be going to a new home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:38 pm 

Even a glimmer of hope is enough to make my day. Thank you, Al.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:51 pm 

Slightly off topics, but I am wondering why I keep reading of steam cranes being scrapped?
Are they that common in museums and even so, why are museums so motivated to get rid of them?
I can see it now, 50 years from now on whatever format railfans are swapping info, people will decry all these cranes scrappings and people will ask, "why did they make it this late in history, just to get scrapped because nobody seemed to want them?"

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:56 am 

A few photos found online.
[Edit] - Credit should be given to the people at WRM for being good custodians of this object all these years.

ImageDSCN4759 by wsflco, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Pacific Steam powered Crane #7100 & Boom Car 7101 6 by Jack Snell - USA, on Flickr

ImageSouthern Pacific Steam powered Crane #7100 & Boom Car 7101 7 by Jack Snell - USA, on Flickr

Last edited by rock island lines on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm 

They are huge, complex, and maybe even a bit scary. They are not easy to access, hard to show the inside. If they are steam, that's one more boiler to repair and inspect. They are low on the glamour list and don't get the upkeep or $$ they need. They sometimes are HUGE and come with many support cars, and being a large, oversize, friction bearing unit, hard to move.

That's why they get no love, and no love=scrapping threats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:21 pm 

I'd guess they're also more difficult to move than even a steam locomotive. Most of them still have friction bearings and they wouldn't be easy to disassemble to ship by flatcar so they're not easily sold or traded to someone who does want them.

It is a shame so many have been scrapped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:44 pm 

Not too hard to disassemble for transport. Lower the boom, drop the cables and push out the pins. The boom is now ready to load. Then go inside, remove the propelling shaft gear, pull off the ring rollers and the superstructure is ready to lift off. A few days work to get one ready to go on two flats.

Most owners of these cranes have track not capable of handling their weight. A 250 ton wrecker may weight 366,000 lbs. or more on 6 axles. They don't like the typical 85 lb. rail on sawdust ties found in most museum yards.

But even if one is restored to operation, they are not a big revenue generator. They aren't going to haul the tourist trains. But that still doesn't mean that they can't be left to sit where they are. Even static they are impressive machines to look at.

Ah, how I wish I had been able to keep that P&LE 250 tonner. Sure do miss it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:27 pm 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
They are huge, complex, and maybe even a bit scary. They are not easy to access, hard to show the inside. If they are steam, that's one more boiler to repair and inspect. They are low on the glamour list and don't get the upkeep or $$ they need. They sometimes are HUGE and come with many support cars, and being a large, oversize, friction bearing unit, hard to move.

That's why they get no love, and no love=scrapping threats.

That and most museums do not have the trained personnel to operate them safely (steam or diesel). Maintenance is another consideration. However, for the few museums that have operational cranes and the operations staff, they can be quite useful.

For folks wanting to see a crane in action, go to TVRM in the summer. TVRM has three operational cranes. One is used three times a week in the summer to coal locomotives, the ex-Southern crane is occasionally used for moving or lifting stuff and the Burro crane is stored operable (I think) for maintenance of way work. The ex-Southern crane was used to lift and set the machines in the wheel shop years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:11 pm 

Have a question about crane boilers. The answer might be well known to others but not me. Where does a crane boiler fall into in regards to FRA regs. Does a crane which does not haul passengers like a locomotive fall into the same pile of regulations as a steam locomotive? I can only presume it does?

I love cranes of any kind, but I can see why museums seldom have one in operating condition. The cost in money and labor versus calling in a crane to do your lifts would be much cheaper. On the other hand I think having a crane fired up doing some demonstration work would also serve a mission statement. All we need is money. Ha! Even then there is the added liability if something goes wrong and it can. If you push the demonstration to far back from the public for safety, then you well might lose the interest.

Cheers, John.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:46 pm 

Inspected by the state it's in. Labor board usually. At least that is how the old Cotton Belt steam crane at the Arkansas Railroad Museum was inspected.

Hotmetal-you only think they are easy from your perspective, but you guys have done a LOT of moving of very, very heavy and awkward things. Others look at them and are completely overwhelmed at first sight.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:07 pm 

That's what I've seen, under the State they are in as a stationary boiler. The C&WI wrecker at IRM had a state ticket while under C&WI ownership . I've also seen old California boiler certificates stacked several deep in the ticket holder of SP wrecker 7070 now at Cal State Railway museum.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:39 pm 

Here is what I have on the cranes at the Tennessee Valley RR Museum.

Bucyrus C/N 253 150 tons Wrecker Steam (converted to diesel 1970’s) 04-19
Southern RR #D-68 to #903008 09-73
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dazon_blue/4193448586/
Burro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hunter1828 ... hunter1828
American 40 tons DE
US Air Force XC-245 Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
http://www.rgusrail.com/album/tntvrr/am ... ane_05.jpg

I would be greatful for information on the Burro and the American.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:16 am 

Pegasuspinto wrote:
Hotmetal-you only think they are easy from your perspective, but you guys have done a LOT of moving of very, very heavy and awkward things. Others look at them and are completely overwhelmed at first sight.

I am available to consult and assist others with the dismantling and transportation of "very heavy and awkward things", should the need arise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:04 am 

Location: Somewhere east of Prescott, AZ along the old Santa Fe "Prescott & Eastern"
Pegasuspinto wrote:

I could make the case that not *enough* people are "completely overwhelmed at first sight." Otherwise, we wouldn't be putting up with scads of folks who insist at every other post in the Abandoned Rails Facebook page, or at every report of a derelict locomotive or car with some history to it, "THAT NEEDS TO GO TO THE [pick one] MUSEUM!!!!!"