It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 494 Tender Lift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 4:16 am 

<P>At some point in the not too distant future, We'll need to lift the tender tank from the frame. 494 is an 1892 Manchester 4-4-0 and so is comparatively small. The tender tank is, well, tender to say the least. Can anyone give me an educated guess as to the tank weight? What are some lifting techniques for rusted out tanks to prevent collapse? Internal bracing is basically gone. Thanks.<br>

wrj494@aol.com

Post subject: Re: 494 Tender Lift
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 1999 6:22 pm 

<P>Tricky problem. It will be necessary to create some internal bracing structure within the tank from the lift points at the bottom to the top corners of the tank, and spread out the load over a long run at the top corners. I assume some sort of jacking rather than skyhook in this scenario. Plywood and 2X4 and deck screws should suffice. Think truss. It might be feasable to cut through old rotted wood decking to find strong jack points in the bottom, but tanks are generally strongest at the junctions of horizontal and vertical sections. Not sure of your particulars but I would try to lift at the ends of the water legs, about at the back wall of the slope sheet, and across both rear corners. <p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net