It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Steam School
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 9:09 am 

<P>I am writing this to see what others think. It kind of goes with Daves comments about trainning. I work around Steam full time and I have also worked with guys that are the Avg. Volunteers, weekends once or twice a month (when ever their wives let them out). I can definitly see a difference in Trainning. Now I have also been to several Tourist lines with steam and talked with the crew members after I got off the train. I can hosestly say that if I had talked to the guys before the trip, I probaly would have not have gotten on board. I have come to realize that there are many other Gettysbergs waiting to happen (contrary to what many others think). Now I know the "New" rules are going to help the problem, but I don't think that is the quick fix. If anything it will get rid of steam on many railroads and less and less people will have steam expirence or get to see steam in all its beauty. I am willing to bet close to 35% of Steam operators out there now will not be here in 2 years!<p>What if an organization was formed to travel to museums, shortlines and other organizations with Steam and train their volunteers. Once they have passed the training give them a certificate and make them pass a yearly test to keep the certificate. In my expirence with volunteers, most would pay for the trainning out of their own pocket, and not cost the org. anything, so they can just to be part of the Steam expirence. If you got the FRA to back you and accredit you, then you took the certificates to the Insurance Co. with the possibility of a lower rate for higher qualified people, would more org. do it?<p>Now I know there are many loop holes in the idea, but it is the concept not the details right now.<p>The biggest problem I see here is ego's, they run very strong in this business, nobody is EVER wrong and no body wants someone else telling them how to do things. This is what sickens me, but I love steam so that is why I am here. I see many organizations saying "We have Steam trainning and we make everyone go through it that gets on the locomotive" What I say to that is, "how qualified is the Instructor?" Their reply, "I worked on the steam loco 12 times a year for the past 10 years." That is all well and good but how qualified is the Instructor. If he had to pass a standard test for steam, would he. You have to pass a test to be a Supervisor of Locomotive Engineers why not a Supervisor Locomotive Steam?<p>This is just something to ponder, I am curious as to what others think.<p>Jason <br>

casey@tusco.net

Post subject: Re: Steam School
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 1999 2:42 pm 

<P>Jason,<br>I love your idea, and I would attend the classes. I have accumulated many old steam operations and maintenance books but that's nothing like having hands on experience and even better the tutelage of an experienced engineer. When I'm in the cab observing, I feel glad that I'm not in either seat because I am reminded of how much I need to learn. But everytime I'm on the grounds, I'm reminded of how much I want to learn and be able work the fire or operate the throttle and be confident that I know what I'm doing.<br>Alan

My Steam Page
adatmsu@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Steam School
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 1999 7:43 pm 

<P>I love the idea - for everyone you runs steam as a hobby, not a job!<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org