It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Where are they now -various steam
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 1999 12:32 pm 

<P>Can anyone update me on the location/status of the following locomotives:<p>1. Frisco 2-8-2 #1351 - Last I had seen, they had a very nice webpage showing their progress on the restoration, then I see that she was up for sale. I can only assume that the boiler inspection turned up some major problems and the project is now dead.<p>2. C&O 2-8-4 #2776 - Is the group in Washington Court House actively at work on this Super Power specimen?<p>3. C&O 2-8-4 #2716 - IS this Kanawha still in Ft. Wayne or has it been moved to KRM? Where is KRM in the construction of the roundhouse and turntable I have heard about?<p>4. C&O 2-8-4 #2789 - How close is this one to running? Is the group in North Judson still working on restoring this one as well?<p>Wouldn't a Super Power gathering be an awesome event with 765, 759, 614, 643 (if you consider that Super Power), and the three 2700's listed above? Just something that I thought would stir the imaginations late at night!<br>

train@nls.net

Post subject: Re: Where are they now -various steam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 6:18 am 

<P>Although I could give you some info on all 4 of these locomotives, I will only comment on the engine at our museum, C&O 2-8-4 #2789. This Kanawha is currently undergoing a slow cosmetic restoration. Since being brought to North Judson in 1988 she has never LOOKED good and that is what we are trying to do to her now. It is still the policy of the museum to eventually restore her to service and we have a brand new set of tubes that were donated to us and have stored on the premises. There are three main reasons why the restoration to service is currently on hold:<p>1. Lack of a person (or persons) who can lead such an effort. We have a number of people at the museum that are interested in the engine but need someone who can be a "leader" to say "this must be done next" or "no we don't want to do that" or "yes that patch in the firebox is OK" or "No that patch is not going to cut it." There have been some people expressing an interest in doing this but (so far) no one has stepped forward to actually take on this responsibility.<p>2. A favorable place to run the locomotive. Our connection is CSX and we all know of their current policy toward private steam locomotives on their lines. We believe that some day this policy may well change. Until that day, we prefer not to go ahead with the restoration and thus start "the count" under the current new steam rules.<p>3. Lack of available funds. Although we DO have a new set of flues ready to install, there are many other items on #2789 that must be fixed. This will take money and that is always in short supply. And unlike other steam restoration projects, we are a musuem where other projects must compete for the limited dollars available.<p>As I said, I could comment on the other three engines listed but will defer to people at the locations of those other engines who can give a better and more up-to-date report.<p>Les Beckman (Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum/North Judson, Indiana) <br>

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 2:02 pm 

<P>Les,<p>Thanks for that well-stated response. You folks are wise in waiting for the right opportunity. By the way, what I've seen of your museum's efforts are impressive, especially the new depot. Same on the various diesels and other rolling stock shown on your website. <p>By the way, is North Judson at the end of an existing line, do you have your own trackage, or are you located on a shortline that passes through North Judson.<p>Thanks,<br>Rob Gardner <br>

train@nls.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 3:17 pm 

<P>Rob:<p>This is a bit complicated but here goes. When the last successor of the Erie/Erie-Lackawanna finally threw in the towel and stopped operations, the E-L was to be torn up through Indiana. The grain elevator operator at Monterey (16 miles east of North Judson) decided he needed to keep rail service to his elevator and purchased that portion of the railroad (there was an interchange with the C&O at N. Judson.) When we were looking for a home for the 2789, he originally allowed us to bring the 2-8-4 to Monterey but eventually donated the abandoned right-of-way in North Judson itself to us. When we first arrived at N. Judson, the locomotive sat on a 1500' section of original Erie track that was located WEST of the interchange turnout and which stopped just short of Main Street. Over the last 12 years, we have laid track west up to a point just short of where the Erie crossed the C&O (now CSX of course.) Our "mainline" is approximately 1/3 of a mile long, and although we do run "caboose hops" for passengers that stop by on Saturdays, it is hardly enough track to stretch a Kanawha's legs. Our actual connection is with the short line which is owned by the grain elevator (the current owner is Cargill which is the third owner since we originally came here in 1988.) Over the years, we have always had a good rapport with the owners of the short line. At present, we are in negotiations with Cargill for about 1300' of the track from Main Street toward the interchange turnout. Although this looks promising, the "legal eagles" at Cargill are closely looking at this move. If it ever does come to fruition, it would increase the length of our modest train ride.<p>This was lengthy Rob and I apologize for that but that is the story. Any other questions, please let me know.<p>Les<br>

midlandblb@cs.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 3:26 pm 

<P>Les,<p>Is the Cargill facility accessed directly from the CSX line you referred to? From what you shared, it sounds like the only part of the EL remaining in North Judson is the section from town out to the Cargill facility. Is that correct?<br>

train@nls.net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 1999 4:26 pm 

<P>The Cargill elevator is located in Monterey, Indiana which is 16 miles east of North Judson and is served by Cargill's own short line railroad. They interchange with CSX in North Judson. Our "connection" is with the short line; not directly with CSX.<br>

midlandblb@cs.com