It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any european railway equipment in the U.S.?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 12:54 am 

<P>I recently received an interesting email which leads to my question to all you RyPN readers: Do you know of any european steam locomotives or other equipment operating (or operable) in the U.S.?

Washington Steam Locomotives and Railroads
brianfr@speakeasy.org

Post subject: Re: Any european railway equipment in the U.S.?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 1:44 am 

<P>For starters there's the Swedish 4-6-0 that operates on the Belfast & Moosehead Lake out of Unity, Maine, along with its train of Swedish passenger cars. There also seem to be quite a few German 2-foot gauge 0-4-0's around, off the top of my head I can think of examples in Maine, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Wisconsin, and I'm sure there are many more. The Edaville Railroad also has a British-built 2-foot gauge 0-6-0 that's currently being restored to steam. Photos of most of the engines mentioned above can be found on my Surviving Steam Photo Archive site(parkengines.railfan.net).

Surviving Steam Photo Archive
rjenkins@railfan.net

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 2:48 am 

<P>After posting, (naturally) I realized that I knew that there is European steam equipment in the U.S. and I have pictures of it on my my own web site. (D'oh!)<p>I'm looking for information on the split tank locomotive whose image is included. Looks like it might be a 2-6-2. All I "know" (was told) is that it is "back east" and was "rebuilt" last year.<p>Any ideas would be appreciated.<p>

Washington Steam Locomotives and Railroads
brianfr@speakeasy.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 3:20 am 

<P>Looking at the throw arm on that switchstand and at the use of charis rather than tie plates under the rails, I'd say that tank engine photo was taken in Europe...<br>

eledbetter@rypn.org

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 1999 6:29 am 

<P><br>Thank you for confirming my suspcion about it not being a picture taken in the U.S. <p>

Washington Steam Railroads and Locomtives
brianfr@speakeasy.org