It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Use of the internet to raise awareness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 1999 5:14 am 

<P>More and more there are posts about this locomotive, that station, and some roundhouse that needs to be saved from the torch or wrecking ball. Now my question to everyone is with all of the websites, message boards, and mailing lists out there have any raise enough awareness to make a difference? Is there on real case where someone started the ball rolling online to raise awareness and truly make a difference?<p>Comments are welcome.<p>Tom Gears<br><br>

Post subject: Re: Use of the internet to raise awareness
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 1999 12:14 pm 

<P>I have been trying to do that for about 15 years now, first through L&RP magazine, and now through the internet. It's been a tough sell, with few successes. Being stuck back east, with few opportunities to travel, trying to inspire others to act locally is about the best I can do, and that's the reason this website exists. It would be great to be some kind of professional consultant on such matters and be taken more seriously, but unfortunately that line of work does not come under Railroad Retirement.<p>Some persons are offended by what they see as our "stinging" editorials, but they are born of passion for our movement. How could anyone see photos of a backhoe demolishing the huge, historic Carson City shops of the Virginia & Truckee RR and not question why it had to happen?<p><br>

ryarger1@nycap.rr.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 1999 4:59 pm 

<P>it's more a maturing thing - as railroad museums get older, hopefully, they get wiser. All things add up - I would have to guess that somethings been saved by being talked about on the internet.<p>BTW - the L&RP was a GREAT mag - too bad not enough people purchased it to keep it going - Bob. It was still worth trying, IMO<br>

lundquist@sdrm.org

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 1999 1:56 pm 

<P>I applaud all responsible for this site. It must take a major effort to compile day after day. The demise of the magazine only underscores the fact that rail preservation touches a narrow piece of the pie. The "1% railfans" estimate may be a bit low and most of our large gifts come from railfans, but the visit experience by the masses is what will support our efforts long-term. We often argue about running freshly painted cars on our demonstration railway, because "that's not how the railroads did it." Taking a bit of license with historical accuracy goes a long way in developing return visitors and in some cases new museum members. While we haven't saved anything from the junker because of an RyPN plea. The articles and discussion have given me a deeper apppreciation for the artifacts under our care.<br>

wyld@oc-net.com