It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PRR Pavonia Station
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 2:36 am 

<P>While visiting in-laws in Jersey City, N.J. recently, I noticed a couple of long stretches of walled street blocks that ran for blocks and which were broken only by cross-streets. They appeared to be RR approaches leading to the Hudson River dock area. The spans over the cross streets are now gone.<br>One of these walled stretches paralleled 6th St. I forget which streets paralleled the other. Could one of these have been approaches to Pavonia Station back when PRR had a depot on the New Jersey side and ferried passengers to New York City?<br>

Post subject: Re: PRR Pavonia Station
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 11:37 am 

<P>The stone retaining walls held the lead tracks to the PRR facilities at Harsimus Cove and Ballground Yard.The line was the end of the Passic and Harsimus branch and that portion extended from Meadows Yard through Journal Square past WALDO tower across a long pile bridge to the filled area from somewhat north of 5th street to the south side of 6th street. The tracks to the immediate north side of the viaduct were used for BerWind White Coal being dumped on a Lake Superior type structue at the Hudson River. The tracks at the southern part of the viaduct feed Ballground Yard and the Harborside Terminals.The elevated tracks provided a "hump" operation from Henderson St east and south. There was a tower at 6th and Henderson called JH and a small engine facility next to the tower. At 5th and Henderson there was an LCL Container transfer gantry crane. The tracks curved to the south and connected to the passenger leads to Exchange Place (The PRR waterside station)which allowed the freight engines coming east to return properly pointed to the engine facilites at Meadows.<p>Pavonia Station was the Erie's station at the waterfront in Jersey City and was located between 7th and 8Th Streets (Pavonia Ave.) at the River.<p>Hope this helps. I have vivid recollections of the area as my Grandmother's house at 256 Fifth Street backed to the railroad. It was a wonderful place to watch trans in the 1940's. I guess this is were I caught the virus.<br>

v-scarpitti@worldnet.att.net

Post subject: Re: PRR Pavonia Station----Oops!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 1:12 pm 

<P>Thanks for correcting my confusion about the Erie Pavonia Station and PRR's Exchange Place terminal!<br>Your info on the "walled blocks" clarified a lot too.<p><br>