It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pullman-Standard Archives?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 12:52 pm 

<P>The Friends of Locomotive #35 have been donated two former LIRR cars built by Pullman-Standard in 1955 and 1956. We are trying to gain more information on these cars and would like to know if there is a source for information and/or builders photos from the Pullman-Standard Co. from the mid 50's? I have looked and only come up with the Pennsylvania State Archives, but they seem to be mostly freight car oriented from the description on their web site.<p>Thanks,<br>Roger Hahn

Friends of Locomotive #35
Belpaire@aol.com

Post subject: Re: Pullman-Standard Archives?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 1999 1:51 pm 

<P>Those cars are ex-New York Central. There is a series of books put out by Dave Randall in the early 90's called The Pullman Standard Library. I think it was volume 2 which covered the NYC. There are interior and exterior photos plus floor plans of these cars. These books are a little hard to find but they show up once in a while at RR swap meets.<p>Also, the Illinois RR Museum has a lot of the archives from Pullman Standard, including photos and many drawings. They usually just have one volunteer who fields requests for materials so it takes awhile to get a response. Their prices are very reasonable.<br>

domeliner@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 1999 8:26 am 

<P>Thanks for the info, but the cars were built for the LIRR. In fact, at the time of their arrival on the LIRR, the railroad was buying a lot of new equipment. In order to let this fact be know they painted a number inside of a circle on the side of the locomotive/coach to indicate how many pieces of new equipment had been bought. For example 2900 series coach #2924 was the 25th new piece of equipment, so it had a 25 on it. <p>With the amount of equipment arriving the numbers didn't really follow a logical sequence so that is one of the things we are trying to determine, what 'new equipment' numbers our cars wore.<p>Roger<p>><br>

belpaire@aol.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 1999 9:52 am 

<P>Sorry for that blatant error on the heritage of your cars. Of course they were built for the Long Island, not the NYC. Sometimes it can be a little too easy to post on these boards without double checking my facts. I still thought I remembered that the Pullman Standard Library volume on the NYC had a section on those Long Island cars, thus my brain fade induced comment that they were built for the NYC. Unfortunately I didn't have my copy here at the house to confirm. <br>

domeliner@hotmail.com