It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carrol Park and western
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 1999 6:04 am 

<P>Does anybody know the current status of the Carrol Park and Western 2 Truck climax at the roaring camp and Big Trees in California. The CP&W was a neet little railroad, not too disimilar to the Pine Creek in New Jersey, located near Bloomsburg PA. They had the climax and a little 2-4-0. The Buildings, a nice station and water tower, are still there (for now) and I hear the 2-4-0 is somewhere in Jersey. I did see a few shots of the climax in poor shape at roaring camp, but that was some time ago. Also heard there was some talk of standard guaging it (it was an odd 42 inches I believe). Anyone know more?<p>Dave in Scranton <br>

bing@epix.net

Post subject: Re: Carrol Park and western
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 1999 1:29 am 

<P>Well, last time I was there (last Feb) there was<br>a climax slowly being worked on; I can't remember<br>if it was this one. (the name is familiar).<p>Certainly, nowhere near running. <p>I'm probably going back in September... I'll spend<br>more time looking then.<p>Not the most authorative answer; anyone else?<br>

john.stewart@crc.ca

Post subject: Roaring Camp
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 1999 10:23 pm 

<P>Last Saturday, I visited Roaring Camp with my family and spent some time talking with an engine crew. The railroad was operating two trains, both powered by a Shay, up Bear Mountain.<p>The Carroll Park Climax and a small two truck shay continue to sit in the bone yard area of the shop. Last I heard the Climax needs a new boiler and of course, regauging of the engine trucks; though there was a rumor of regauging to standard gauge for the Big Trees & Pacific operation. Nonetheless, the climax basically has not moved since its arrival in Felton as goes the small shay.<p>Westside Heisler #3 is in the shop getting an extensive overhaul by an outside contractor. The brunt of the operation is currently being handled by the Dixiana Shay #1 and Tuolumme three truck Shay #7. The shop crews recently rebuilt the "cute" little Kahuku 0-4-2T. <p>For anyone interested, there were several "Help Wanted" signsÂ…but that seems to be the current norm here in the Silicon Valley. Finding a job is not a problem; whereas finding affordable housing is a different matter.<br><br>

ken.middlebrook@nsc.com