It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need help with Pullman car research.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:23 am 

<P>I am researching the history of a Pullman HW car in our collection, currently numbered SPMW 5535. I have been told by the gentlemen on the "Espee" Egroups list that the prior number on the car was the 3116. The car was at one time a Plan 4061C, a 14 section tourist car, converted to a MOW Bunk car by the SP, and subsequently gutted by it's former owner. My question is: does anyone out there have access to info, as well as this particular car's name(s)? Any info would greatly aide us at this point with our conservation/restoration effort on this car.<br>Thanks in advance!<br>Chris Allan<br>

Joshua Tree & Southern Railroad Club and Museum
wsflco@earthlink.net

Post subject: Scroll down to the thread "Pullman Standard Archive
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 1999 11:36 am 

<P>.<br>

Post subject: Thanks all!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 1999 6:47 pm 

<P>Evidently the car was the "Red Oak" when new (1925), according to some research provided me by gentlemen on the "Espee" Egroups list. That solves that mystery. The next mystery is how to motivate our clubmembers to start scraping paint!<p>Thanks for your help everyone!<br>Chris<br>

Post subject: Re: Thanks all!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 1999 4:49 am 

<P>Good that you found the information.<p>From Wayner's book:<br>RED OAK was one of an order of 105 cars, with 12 sections and 1 drawing room, built August through December 1925. It was one of 27 cars (named ORANGE ___ or RED ___) from that order assigned to service on the San Francisco Overland.<br>RED OAK became Tourist Car 3116 in 5/40 and then sold to SP 11/52.<p>Good Luck with your project.<br>

bnorden@gateway.net