It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Basket Case Restorations - Would this count?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 4:01 am 

<P>Would a piece of machinery count as a basket case restoration? Case in point: The 90" Niles Wheel Lathe recently restored to operating condition by TVRM had been stored outdoors for over 16 years and looked like a large pile of rusted parts which is about what it was. 2,500 man hours and about $40K were needed to return it to operating condition. Not quite a million dollars but well worth it. The two machines from Poland (the Niles Quartering Machine and Niles Journal Lathe) were in fairly good shape but did require alot of work.<p>I have to place my vote for the ex-C&O 2716 as the basket case champion in the standard gauge steam locomotive category. Our ex-USATC 610 ranks up there from a missing parts viewpoint. It was essentially a boiler shell sitting on some drivers. But since it only took TVRM $88K to return it to service, I doubt it will even receive an honorable mention. By the way, that's $88,000 and she has ran superb for the 10th year in a row now.<p>I hope to be able to pass on some news regarding the Southern 630 and K&T 10 soon. Stay tuned.<br>

aw90h@cs.com

Post subject: Re: Basket Case Restorations - Would this count?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2000 6:56 am 

<P>Sounds like the 610 should be on the list of notables!! Did I understand it right that the US Army 2-8-0 #611 was traded to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum from the Texas State RR a couple years back? Does the USA 611 have poppet valves? I recall that being mentioned at one time. The 611 itself was said to be in pretty rough shape itself. It would be neat to see a poppet valved steam locomotive restored to operation. Are there are any plans to restore it or is it a part source for the 610?<br>

hubbard5004@msn.com

Post subject: Another Army 2-8-0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 3:14 am 

<P>For what it's worth, last time I was at Cass Scenic RR there was a sister to these Army 2-8-0s there, rusting away in the shopline......<br>

LNER4472@gateway.net

Post subject: Re: Another Army 2-8-0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 10:23 am 

<P>TVRM did trade some unneeded passenger equipment to the Texas State RR a couple of years ago for what was left of the ex-USATC 611. It does have rotary poppet valves on it. Presently, we have no plans to restore it although we have been able to acquire many of the missing parts from other S-160's that were in pieces in Europe. I believe the 611 was originally built as the 2630. The 612 at Cass was originally built as the 2628. I inspected that locomotive also a couple of years ago for possible trade. Unfortunately, the procurement people in the State of WV would not let the folks at Cass trade for anything. So the poor locomotive sits wasting away in the weeds. It's a real shame, too. The 612 was in the shop at Ft. Eustis having its running gear overhauled when the orders came to get rid of the steamers. Some tires have been turned and the wedges are still down. And it has a brand new set of superheaters in it. Oh well.....<p>Jack Showalter owns the one remaining class S-160 that left Ft. Eustis. It is in pieces in Covington, VA. Another sad story.<br>

aw90h@cs.com

Post subject: Hey, Mark-what happened to the Brimstone shay at TVRM?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 2:46 pm 

<P>Where did the Brimstone shay go??<p>Ken

Steam-Locomotive.com
steamloc@steam-locomotive.com

Post subject: Re: Hey, Mark-what happened to the Brimstone shay at TVRM?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 1:44 am 

<P>Go West, young man.......<p>last i saw it was sitting in kit form with many missing pieces at a Christmas Tree farm near Sacramento, CA. <p>The story was it was sold by Carl Jensen from the NS steam program that owned it fast and cheap to get it gone. I never did track down the legitimacy of this rumor, but it has been in CA for a long time now and doesn't seem to be getting any better. <p>Nice to think about it doubleheading with 1925 in the North Georgia hills.<p>Dave<br>

lathro19@idt.net

Post subject: If you've got a flatcar, we've got a Shay!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 4:08 am 

<P>since 1925 and 36 never got to do their duet at robbinsville in the early 1970s (brimstone 36 came in for an overhaul in sept. 1973 that never took place), it would be fun to get together with 35; <br>(of course, i always, figured 36 would be dubbed the 1914 to keep GCRR's number by year of construction scheme alive)<p>seriously, dave is right, 35 is at a farm just south of scramento in many pieces; i talked about the engine's fate with the owner during railfair; he seemed somewhat interested in disposing of her; personally, i cannot understand why a tenn. engine ever left TVRM. <p><br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com