It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Missing Shay and Heisler
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 2:52 pm 

<P>Anybody know what ever happened to the old 3-truck Shay that was at Dry Gulch in Wytheville, Virginia until 1980?? It got auctioned off and Don Primi bought it and I think took it to Florida. Never heard any more about it after that. It was the Elk River #19 I think before it came to Wytheville. It was a classy old contraption but was really shot toward the end.<p>They also had a 2 truck standard gauge Heisler at Dry Gulch, probably about 50 ton or so. It went in the same auction. It came from Forest Products Chemical I think.<p>Just wondering and thought some of you might know where they went!<p>Ken

Steam-Locomotive.com
steamloc@steam-locomotive.com

Post subject: Re: Missing Shay and Heisler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 1:34 am 

<P>Ken,<p>The 3-truck Shay (former Elk River Coal & Lumber Co. #19) is now on display in a park in Harrod, Ohio.<p>I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the 2-truck Heisler you are talking about is now on display in Rossville, GA.<p>Regards,<br>Jim Robinson<br>

Post subject: Re: Missing Shay and Heisler
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 4:00 am 

<P>the shay was part of the late 80s/early 90s effort to create a museum in/around the lima locomotive works; i wasn't aware of its most recent where abouts; <p>i have some B&W photos from a 1978 visit; when the engineer recognized that i knew what a shay was, he invited me for a cab ride, which for a 17-year-old steam fan i thought was very nice; <p>then he informed me that the operators of the park required him to run the engine solo and could i help him fire. <p>i hope the heisler shows up; if still missing, perhaps we should put its picture on milk cartons?? (or should that be beer bottles??)<br>

Wrinnbo@aol.com

Post subject: "Have You Seen This Heisler?"
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 5:29 am 

<P>I am pretty sure the ex-Dry Gulch Junction RR. Heisler #2 is/was the locomotive at "Whistle In The Woods" in Rossville, GA. Scrolling down this board I now see some posts stating "...there is no railroad equipment on the property now...". If so, then I guess it's time for Jim Wrinn's "Lost Heisler on a beer bottle".<p>Regards,<br>Jim Robinson <br>

Post subject: Re: "Have You Seen This Heisler?"
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2000 8:52 am 

<P>My memory may be faulty, but I seem to recall seeing a small Heisler stored with some other old equipment behind the depot at Andalusia, AL, about a year and a half ago. Any chance this might be the one?<br>

AMaples@aol.com