It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next issue of "Steamin' Up" is in the mail
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 9:41 am 

<P>At long last after many trial, tribulations, and troubles the next issue of "Steamin' Up" magazine is on the way to the Post Office.<p>I am so sorry it has taken so long to get to you guys that subscribed but I have never, and I mean NEVER, had as much trouble getting something done in my life. <p>A new outfit was printing it for me and lost the whole second issue and I had not backed it up. Then, when I got it reconstructed, this yokel goes out of business on me.<p>I have been quite busy as some of you know on some preservation issues in East Tennessee and my time has been scarce for several months now, but things are looking up finally in having a little spare time.<p>Anyway, I am VERY SORRY this has taken so long. You should have Issue two and Issue three by the first week of September (overseas guys will get it when it gets there but it will be sent with the domestics).<p>Hope you enjoy it. Issue two covers the Gauge One live steam guys big get-together in Diamondhead, Mississippi as well as a detailed feature on overhauling a 24" gauge Crown park engine.<p>Again, sorry it took so damn long!<p>Ken

Steam-Locomotive.com
steamloc@steam-locomotive.com

Post subject: ICS Reprints
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 11:09 am 

<P>Hey Ken, <p>What ever happened to the ICS book reprints you started last spring?<br>

Post subject: Re: ICS Reprints
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2000 1:19 pm 

<P>We had permission from the folks who were the old ICS. During the time we were negotiating with them, Harcourt Learning Direct bought them out. There were 2 people in the product development team that did the deal with me for the steam locomotive books and both departed after the takeover went down. I had a letter of permission from them but soon go another letter from their legal department cancelling it. Didn't seem quite fair to me.<p>I didn't get ugly with them even after I had the permission letter, as I probably could have. I let it sit until about 8 weeks ago. Some of the ICS books are currently reprinted in England (you can find them on my website, in the bookstore) with no problems from them, but they are edited and all the ICS references removed.<p>Since we found this out, my partner has been editing the first two volumes we already had done in the same manner the UK people have. I already did the work and paid the bill for the first two volumes when it all hit the fan and we have just picked up from there. I have added a few notes with references to current shop practice, but basically we just removed all the ICS material and reset the type. I plan to offer the "Steam Locomotive Volumes I and II" published together in one book in the early fall. I will follow up with a new volume every couple of months until we get it all out.<p>If they want to get ugly with me, I will get out the letter of permission they sent me, hand it to the lawyer, and let the party begin.<p>The whole reason I started Little River in the beginning was to get this type of information out to the young guys. These kids cannot afford to lay out a grand for an ICS set and then they wouldn't dare get it dirty. The firing manuals and promotional books have sold great and I know that people are USING them, not just collecting them. I want to see the crafts go on after my time and I think this is as good a contribution as I can make to do it.<p>Stay tuned and I will have the first two volumes out. Thanks for your interest!<p>Ken

Steam-Locomotive.com
steamloc@steam-locomotive.com