It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: F-3 Window Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:25 pm 

To all you F-unit owners out there:
I've run across a perplexing problem while working on the cab windows of the ARHS' F-3A's.

They still have the original roll-up windows, both in the doors and the cab walls. While I was replacing a cracked piece of glass the other week, I took a closer look at the weather stripping along the sides of the glass and at the bottom of the window.

The profile for the piece at the bottom of the window looks pretty unique. If you've seen one, you know what I'm talking about. I've been trying to match it up with an automotive/truck weatherstrip to stop the rain from running down inside the cab walls, since these parts have deteriorated from use and age. This piece only seals when the windows are fully raised. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is unique to the F-units, but no proof yet.

I think I may be able to find something to replace the window 'tracks' which hold the window in place while it is up, but that all depends on the dimensions.

I've heard that GM most likely used parts from their truck line for these windows, but haven't been able to confirm that yet. I've done some web searching and ordered a catalog or two to see if I can match something up. Any one know of an antique truck museum I could query?

I noticed on the IRM's website that they have a slew of F-units. Do any of those still have the roll-up windows in them?? Anyone else out there who can answer this esoteric question on how to best find a replacement or adapt something newer without too much aggravation?

Thanks, Walter

hoffmannwj@nswccd.navy.mil

Post subject: Re: F-3 Window Repair
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:34 pm 

Our E-8's still have the roll up windows in the cab doors...I was able to come up with replacement track material from Austin Hardware 800-821-3520...they are a Truck and Trailer hardware supplier.

E.B. Levin

Post subject: F unit crank mechanisms
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:17 pm 

I've heard that the window crank mechanismss in EMD carbody units are the same as Chevrolets (and perhaps other GM products?) of the same era. Is this true? Incidently, I once gave the Railroad Museum of New England a relatively complete set of EMD parts books, which included carbody parts drawings and listings. You might be able to determine something from such a catalog.

ryarger@rypn.org

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:15 pm 

> Our E-8's still have the roll up windows in
> the cab doors...I was able to come up with
> replacement track material from Austin
> Hardware 800-821-3520...they are a Truck and
> Trailer hardware supplier.

> E.B. Levin

Eric,
Thanks for the tip. I'll get in touch with them and see what they have available.

I was looking at some of the photos of your units on the PRRT&H's website, but the in-cab shots with your Dad didn't show the door windows. I saw that the fireman's window had been replaced with the 2-3-2 type, and assumed that the cab doors had been done the same way.

How do the door windows seal against the door frames? Is there weatherstripping on the door frames, or only on the bottom of the windows?

Walter

Post subject: Re: F unit crank mechanisms
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:21 pm 

> I've heard that the window crank mechanismss
> in EMD carbody units are the same as
> Chevrolets (and perhaps other GM products?)
> of the same era. Is this true? Incidently, I
> once gave the Railroad Museum of New England
> a relatively complete set of EMD parts
> books, which included carbody parts drawings
> and listings. You might be able to determine
> something from such a catalog.

Bob, I've heard the same thing, but haven't been able to verify it yet. The crank handles sure look like automotive parts, though... I may have to take some pictures and go out to Carlisle, PA for the truck show and see what I can match up.

Anyone out there from the RMNE who could access those parts books and perhaps photocopy or scan the relevant pages? I'd cover reasonable costs to get a copy of those pages.....

Walter

Post subject: F unit cranky windows....
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:49 pm 

Bob:

Yes, those EMD #90 Parts Catalogs have been extremely useful, as well as educational. One always runs across something interesting (unrelated) when looking up a part or diagram. That catalog gives new meaning to the old joke of EMD standing for "Every Model Different".

Walter:

I will look up and photocopy the relevant sections for you; figure about two weeks for the stuff to land on your doorstep, once you send me (off-line) your mailing address.

> Bob, I've heard the same thing, but haven't
> been able to verify it yet. The crank
> handles sure look like automotive parts,
> though... I may have to take some pictures
> and go out to Carlisle, PA for the truck
> show and see what I can match up.

> Anyone out there from the RMNE who could
> access those parts books and perhaps
> photocopy or scan the relevant pages? I'd
> cover reasonable costs to get a copy of
> those pages.....

> Walter

hpincus@mindspring.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:20 pm 

The windows don't seal....there are a few drain holes at the bottom of the door to let the moisture out.

EBL