It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 5 1/2 x 10" Plain Journal Bettendorf Trucks Available
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:16 am 

One carset of 5 1/2" x 10" plain journal bearing Bettendorf trucks, marked for the NYNH&H Railroad, available for scrap price. Located inside of a building with overhead crane. If interested you better hurry and get in touch with me. The owner is threatening to scrap them soon.

Post subject: Re: 5 1/2 x 10" Plain Journal Bettendorf Trucks Available
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:28 pm 

The trucks are in Youngstown, Ohio. I will attempt to get a price and photos.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:03 pm 

Regular springs or leaf springs?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:43 pm 

I will have a weight and a price on Monday.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:12 pm 

Stationary Steam, Thank's for taking the time to take the pictures and post them.Those look like they may be just what i need for my NYNH&H 40ft. box car.The only thing i notice is they look like they are missing those side bearing plates that hold those solid steel rollers that mount to the top of the bolsters just to the inside of the sideframes,but i think i can come up with some replacements.It's not like my boxcar will be rocking and rolling down any track soon! It will just be sitting coupled up to my lonely old caboose keeping it company.The trucks look like they are caked with old concrete! If the scrap price is reasonable i will deffinately be contacting you! I don't want to pay for the extra weight of the concrete though! Any history on what kind of car they originally came off of?

Thank's!
Fritz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:03 pm 

Fritz -

Rather than concrete, to me it looks like caked-on mud. Either way, probably pretty easy to get off. I remember your saying that your NYNH&H box car was also ex-Wabash and I thought you once told me that it was going to be repainted for the Wabash. But maybe I have that wrong. Either New Haven or Wabash would be great. BTW, I have a friend who owns a New Haven cupola caboose and he might be interested in the trucks even though they don't have leaf springs. His caboose isn't going anywhere either and he is not happy with the Conrail trucks currently under the car. So, I'll be keeping tabs.

Les

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:48 pm 

Fritz, curious about your boxcar where'd you find it? Also what kind of shape is it in.

Les, what type of NH caboose does your friend have?

Do you guys have any pictures of these cars?

Hope someone snags these trucks. Trying to find someone in the "home" territory, thats interested but a price will help, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:00 am 

Mike LaBouliere wrote:

Les, what type of NH caboose does your friend have?

Do you guys have any pictures of these cars?

Hope someone snags these trucks. Trying to find someone in the "home" territory, thats interested but a price will help, thanks.

Mike -

Next time I see him, I'll ask him for the NYNH&H number. It's the type of New Haven caboose that had bay windows added to many of the cars, but this caboose was NOT so converted. My friend has painted it into orange paint but still has to letter it. I have been holding off taking a picture until it was re-lettered, which probably won't take place now until next spring.

Les

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:28 am 

Les, My boxcar was originally built as a NYNH&H car as it still had the cast NYNH&H air brake diagram plate riveted onto the centersill.I have no idea what the original car number was but know that when it went to the Wabash it became 60077 as that number is painted/stenciled on the centersill and i also found that number painted above one of the doors inside.The car later became N&W 360077.As for painting it someday,yes i kind of prefer and have a better liking for the Wabash but then again i also like things original so who knows? Maybe i'll never see it happen?

You said your friend is not happy with his Conrail trucks under his NYNH&H caboose.I can relate to that as i am not real happy with my mismatched set of trucks under my LV caboose.One set is a PRR marked one from a N5C cab and the other a completely different unmarked Bettendorf set.I even went to the trouble to swap and put 4 of the same style matching journal box lids on one side of the caboose and the other 4 different style matching ones on the backside just so it is'nt quite as noticeable.

It would be nice to have a set of original NYNH&H marked trucks under my boxcar but even unmarked ones would suite me just to have it on the rail next to my caboose.One thing i know for sure is any darn trucks will end up costing me alot more than the boxcar did as i only paid $25 for the car!!! But i realize that now a day's most everyone wants the scrap value price and if they don't get that they would just as well scrap the things no matter what it is or who might want them.I just don't want to have to drive all over creation or out of state to haul a set of trucks home.These older friction bearing truck sets are not getting any easier to find either!

I recently paid $600 for a set of D&RG narrow gauge arch bar trucks.I'm going to guess right now that these NYNH&H trucks will probably be close to around $1200,your talking at least 5 tons for the weight.The weight should be marked on the sideframes as my caboose ones are both marked WT5559.

Mike, I bought my boxcar from NS about 8-9 years ago it sat landlocked up on cribbing,actually above burried rail from the old west leg of the Huron branch at Shinrock Ohio were it was shoved years ago and used as a sand storage car.The switch was later pulled and it sat there a good 30 years or more.The rail on the whole west leg is still there burried under about 4-6" of sand and dirt.The boxcar is not in the greatest shape,mainly the roof at the very edge on the sides and at the ends where it has rusted thru in places.The wood floor has water damage and has holes in a few places.Nothing that can't be fixed but it needs work! Still a real bargain for $25 It still had all the brake piping,air resevoir,brake valve,brake rigging and couplers on it.

There is another 40ft. NYNH&H boxcar just north of Milan,Ohio on the east side of Rt.250 just south of the Ohio turnpike parked alongside the Homestead Inn Restaraunt still with it's wheels on a short panel track ,it was converted into a cooler for the business and had a home entry door and stairway installed at the one end on the side.That car was originally delivered by rail at Norwalk,Ohio right before the NYC Norwalk branch was ripped up in late 1976.It was moved uptown first to Norwalk and was used at the old Warehouse wallpaper and paint store for storage.I used to have the originall RR shipping bill with the car number ect.That NYNH&H box car has the wider side doors than what mine does.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:24 pm 

These trucks weigh 7,500 lbs. each and can be had for $1,000 each. That is $300 a ton and is what no. 1 heavy melting scrap is going for these days.

I can arrange to store the trucks at my place for free if unable to pick them up soon. Just pay a reasonable fee to truck them across town. I have a 20,000 lb. forklift at my place so loading/unloading is no problem.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:41 pm 

The owner of the New Haven caboose was at the museum this past Saturday and to answer your question Mike, the NYNH&H caboose number is 562. He also told me the Conrail number, but I didn't write it down and have already forgotten it. As for the trucks, yes he is unhappy with the mismatched set of trucks under the car, but not that unhappy that he would be interested in the set of New Haven trucks. He says he can live with the trucks under the caboose as it ain't ever going anywhere!

Les

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:38 am 

Quote:
You said your friend is not happy with his Conrail trucks under his NYNH&H caboose.I can relate to that as i am not real happy with my mismatched set of trucks under my LV caboose.One set is a PRR marked one from a N5C cab and the other a completely different unmarked Bettendorf set.I even went to the trouble to swap and put 4 of the same style matching journal box lids on one side of the caboose and the other 4 different style matching ones on the backside just so it is'nt quite as noticeable

Conrail had a major upgrade program that saw all the older cupola cabooses get a truck swap. All that had 5 x 9" trucks were changed out to ride control 5.5 x 10" trucks most of which were marked as PRR, NYC or NH. Thus any LV, CNJ or RDG caboose sold at the end are very unlikely to have trucks that match the original owner.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:34 pm 

He hasn't chopped these up yet. Last chance!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 pm 

They are gone now.