It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sharon coupler for sale
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 pm 

Complete Sharon coupler for sale. Knuckle is marked "Sharon HT 8210" (possibly "3210").

Shank is marked "Sharon10" "HT" and "R8H1". I can't quite make out the cast date on my photo, but believe it was 7-59.

Location is north central Pennsylvania. Asking $150. Larger photos available on request.

Attachments:
sharon coupler knuckle.jpg
sharon coupler knuckle.jpg [ 222.94 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]
File comment: Shank and knuckle
Sharon coupler shank.jpg
Sharon coupler shank.jpg [ 223.42 KiB | Viewed 3362 times ]

Post subject: Re: Sharon coupler for sale
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 am 

That is a modern 3/4 size Sharon coupler that has an AAR -10 contour (in 3/4 or 75% size), and it has a 6" x 6" engine shank, which would make this very heavy duty for a narrow gauge railroad. It was cast by; "National Steel Castings", Cicero, Illinois.

The "HT" stands for High Tensile, and Quenched and Tempered.

The EBT used these, as did the "Climax Molybdenum Mine" in CO., and the WP&Y used these on their ALCO's or MLW WP&Y DL535E's, but they all used different shanks from the one shown here.

Side-operation as used on the coupler shown, is the detail that will identify who the intended owner was.

The shank is not quite typical for an engine shank though, neither the; square corners at the rear, nor the horizontal slots are common features of any "engine" shank.

I have an assembly drawing from NACO for the "top operation" version that also has the 6" x 6" shank (with rounded corners and without a horizontal slot) and it says; "General Electric" on the bottom as the buyer. The original date on the drawing is 1965

I'll make a copy of the NACO drawing for whom ever buys this coupler, but they have to send me a $10 for the copy fees. It shows all the part numbers and is really an; "assembly and shank drawing" for the "Top operated" version.

Our "paper" archives will be the future railfans only hope. We (yes you too!) should endeavor to preserve all the info needed to allow them 100% accuracy in the building of their recreations.