It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WANTED: BELL for GE 25 ton
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:45 pm 

Wanted bell with ringer and builders plate for late forties GE 25 ton locomotive,mine is missing. On the builders plate if I can even get one on loan I can have one etched and than stamp the # in it. Thks

Post subject: Re: WANTED: BELL for GE 25 ton
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 pm 

You can find blank reproduction GE switcher plates at the major train shows. they are screen printed aluminum sheets. All you need is a 1/4" punch set to add your numbers. I forget who makes them but they are not expensive.

Only question is did GE use the stamped plates at that time or were they using cast plates like other locomotive manufacturers?

Rich C.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:44 pm 

crij wrote:
You can find blank reproduction GE switcher plates at the major train shows. they are screen printed aluminum sheets. All you need is a 1/4" punch set to add your numbers. I forget who makes them but they are not expensive.

Only question is did GE use the stamped plates at that time or were they using cast plates like other locomotive manufacturers?

Rich C.

Yes it had the aluminum one, that would be great if anyone knows where I could pick up a blank one, I have a punch set.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:55 pm 

GE, from 1937 on, used sheet metal builder's plates on their locos. Virtually all of these are stainless steel, etched and engraved. During WWII a few locos had plates identical in design but made of sheet zinc, or zinc alloy. Although I could not rule it out, I don't believe any GE loco used plates made of sheet aluminum. The electro-chemical reaction between such a plate and the steel loco carbody would have destroyed the plate in a relatively short time. Aluminum reproduction plates will, of course, have that same problem in time unless measures are taken to electrically isolate it from the steel behind it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:45 pm 

Received my bell today Thks everyone for the help. Now looking for the stainless builders plate. :-)
[img]http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa462/Fordjunkie1/MARK/Pictures/2014-
So here's better pic of the engine, so is there parts for that injector pump, or upgrade and what is that in back inside the cab? Thks

Mark