It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wanted -Taber PA Logging Series Books
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:26 pm 

I am looking for a few volumes from Tom Taber III Pennsylvania Logging Railroad series. I am in need of Volumes 8, 9, 10 and 11. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Wanted -Taber PA Logging Series Books
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:06 pm 

At least one of the online used bookstore has them.
Not cheap figure $50 - $125 each--- Walter Casler was the author of three of them, and when he died, he decreed that his books would never be republished. So what is out there used is what there is.
The books written by the other two authors Benjamin Kline and Thomas Tabler were republished several times, quite a few of them on the market usually for $20 or so

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 pm 

leward wrote:
Walter Casler was the author of three of them, and when he died, he decreed that his books would never be republished. So what is out there used is what there is.

You are correct, I've also run into that problem. Keep in mind that these "books" are more like special edition magazines, rather thin and paper bound, but also en excellent resource.

I have never understood why an author would go to all of the work to research a subject, publish a book, and then demand it never be re-printed. What did he have to gain from that? Why not let his heirs profit from future sales? Most importantly, why not allow the information that he worked so hard to collect be distributed?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 pm 

Agree completely. I have enough sets of the books that my children will all get sets. Took quite awhile to gather them all, and quite a few of those green papers with Ben Franklin on them. I ran into a guya few ago that actually knew Walter pretty well- he couldn't figure out why he did that either. I guess until the copy write expires on them and the Climax Locomotive book what is still in circulation is all there is. Sad, because they are truly fascinating books.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:24 pm 

There are usually some on eBay. For awhile, if you had the whole series, you could take them to Tom Tabor and he would exchange them for a bound, 3-volume set. I've got one bound set for my archive, and another set of loose ones for reading and research. For many years in the late 1980's early 1990's, all three authors would attend the Bark Peeler's Convention at the Lumber Museum in Galeton, do book signings, and visit with the logging railroad aficionados.......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:44 pm 

Railpub http://www.railpub.com/ has #10 @ $35 and #11 @ $55. Also the 3-volume bound set for $550(!!).

Jim Tatum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:57 pm 

I don't think I would sell my unbound sets for $550

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:53 am 

They are not that expensive on eBay.

I sold the 14 volume (the index is Vol 14) set for $175 a few months ago in excellent condition.

Each individual book book would sell for around $15 unless there is a bidding war.

Just keep a search open on eBay or Google & you'll run across them at some time.

As for the dealers who think they struck gold, that's why you see them lying around for a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:07 pm 

Amazon has Caslers' books with the appendix for sale in a set. Type "Walter Casler book". In the search block. The price is hefty but there are no other sources that I can find.