It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WW&FRy and MNGRR Maine Two-Foot Winter steam and photo event
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:32 pm 

In partnership with the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company and Boothbay Railway Village, the Wiscasset Waterville and Farmington Railway Museum will host a once in a lifetime winter steam event, designed to provide unique photographic opportunities of winter operations typical on the Maine Two-Footers a hundred years ago.

In addition To WW&FRy no. 9, Monson No. 3 will be on the railroad and operating courtsey of the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad Company. Bridgton and Saco River coach no. 11 will also be at the event courtsey of Boothbay Railway village. The restoration of B&SR boxcar 67 by the WW&F should be complete before the event allowing 67's operation in the photo trains. The WW&FRy's new turntable at Sheepscot will be in operation allowing for photographic opportunities not possible on the railroad before. There is the possibility of a third visiting steam locomotive being on the property and operating during the event weekends but unfortunately this locomotives availability will not be known until very close to the event dates.

Two different dates are being held, January 14-15 and January 21-22, 2017. The photo trains will run from 9am to 4pm Saturday and 8am to 1pm Sunday. A seperate professionally lighted night photo session will be held Saturday evening during each of the events. In addition the WW&F's shops and yard will be opening around 6am during locomotive fireup and switching operations on both days of the events.

Tickets are $400.00 a person per weekend. The Saturday evening night photo session is an additional $75.00. Attendance will be limited to 50 people per weekend with the attendees split into two groups of 25 to keep photo lines manageable. The night photo sessions are limited to 30 people. We must have 40 people signed up for a weekend by December 15, 2016 for that weekend's session to be held. Attendees are encouraged to bring a bag lunch with them but a box lunch will be available Saturday for $15.00.

We will be running two trains on the line allowing for train meets at Alna Center and Top of the Mountain. The two trains will at seperate photo locations most of the day to keep the photo lines reasonable. The trains meets will be held at locations that can accommodate both groups of photographers. All attendees will get an opportunity to photograph the different train consists. Various combinations of freight, passenger and mixed trains will be run with WW&F no. 9 and Monson no. 3. There will be a double header run and a run will be made with Monson no. 3 to recreate Monson freight operations as close as possible with the available equipment. The night photo session will be held outside at the Sheepscot shop. In the event of inclement weather the night session will be held inside the shop building.

Reservations and inquiries can be made by emailing reservations@wwfry.org

http://forum.wwfry.org/index.php

Post subject: Re: WW&FRy and MNGRR Maine Two-Foot Winter steam and photo e
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:19 am 

This sounds like a very ambitious event! What I find surprising though, is that at $400 per person, you can't provide a nice box lunch? Considering the weather, complimentary hot Coffee, Chocolate, or Tea would be nice too. The cost is minor, but it's one less thing for the attendee to worry about!
The preservation work y'all have done is incredibly impressive, wish I live much closer (although I don't do winter snow anymore!).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:54 am 

Not noted is that this is a fundraiser for both Maine Narrow Gauge (which needs funding for their move to Gray, Maine) and the WW&F (who is reboilering locomotive #10.) And, quite honestly, this will entail a TON of work for all parties involved - as normally we do not keep the railroad open and operational after Christmas. Since Monson #3 will be wintering at the WW&F, we will have to heat more of our shop building to accommodate the engine, etc.

While $400 is a bit steep for a two-day charter, nothing like this has ever been done in the past, and it is not likely to be repeated any time soon. Trust me, while we will be making some money on these events, it's a fair price given the expenses and labor involved.

Not to be lost in the announcement is the very strong possibility of a third operational steam locomotive. The WW&F discussion forum has been rife with speculation as to what that might be, and given that speculation, everyone is in for a nice surprise (*if* it happens.)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:25 pm 

Ed,
Those are all very good points, some which may need to be part of the announcement--especially that a portion of the fee may be a tax-deductible donation.
While I see your logic from the presenters' point, consider that for the visitor, who may not be familiar with the area, making the days' logistics as simple for them as possible is a real selling point. You should be able to get box lunches at around a $6@ cost, and supplying them as part of the package is very attractive to the patron.
Just an idea that might help you get more folks! I hope it's a great event and that some of us may enjoy it by photos posted online later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 am 

The winter photo weekend is a definite go. We have met our minimum attendance numbers to hold the events.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:03 pm 

Also we are planning on some "extra" scenes in the yard after the train arrives Sunday afternoon to give our guests a chance to photograph the engines in the yard, at the turntable, etc. in the afternoon light.

Also the turntable is in service now and will permit turning the engines at some point during the weekend, which is a big part in having the extra scenes on Sunday afternoon.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:33 pm 

An update on the Maine Two-Foot Winter Event. We have recieved enough reservations to run both weekends and we have lowered our maximum capacity for both weekends. Reducing the number of spots available on both weekends allows for easier planning on the museum's end and will give the attendees a better experience we feel. There are presently 24 people signed up for the first weekend and we are putting all new sign ups into the second weekend. The plan is to keep the attendance to under 30 people or less a weekend. If you were thinking of attending with somebody who is already signed up the first weekend we can allow a couple more people to make reservations for the first weekend. Reservations can be made by emailing reservations@wwfry.org

Thank You,

Brendan Barry

WW&FRy Board Member