It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 36 V Alternator and regulator
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:47 pm 

Help! I am refurbishing the GE 23 ton switcher. I want to use 3 type 31 batteries and run the system on 36 volts rather than 32. The present alternator delivers 32 volts, which is not enough,
Can anyone recommend a source for these items. I might just need a 36 volt voltage regulator with the existing alternator.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: 36 V Alternator and regulator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:25 pm 

Depending on the alternator it is a good possibility that just changing the reg will work. I would like to offer a simpler solution: leave the electrical system alone and replace your batteries with 2 31 series batteries and an 8 volt battery (8v195 is what I used). I have used this on many older boats and a GE 50 ton loco with good results.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:04 pm 

EWrice wrote:
Depending on the alternator it is a good possibility that just changing the reg will work. I would like to offer a simpler solution: leave the electrical system alone and replace your batteries with 2 31 series batteries and an 8 volt battery (8v195 is what I used). I have used this on many older boats and a GE 50 ton loco with good results.

Great idea! I was considering that, but was worried about the voltage differences. I am now more confident it will work ..

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:32 pm 

Please tell me the manufacturer and size of the 8 v battery, I am having a problem finding one Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:48 pm 

Interstate Batteries
is one supplier. They have several industrial 8-volt batteries.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 pm 

8v195 should be the Deka p/n. It is a good pair to the 31 series truck/equipment batteries. If you used an 825 battery, it would be better paired with 2 8D or 9D 12v batteries. The latter would be better suited to colder climates or hard starting engines because they have more reserve capacity. We used the former in a Michigan locomotive that rolled over good down to 20 degrees. Below that she needed block heaters.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:42 pm 

WOW!! Once again, all my friends here have helped me solve a problem.
BTW, when I was in Hawaii last November, I met the folks at the Hawaiian Railroad on Oahu, and the mechanic and engineer on the Kilohana RR on Kauai, both of whom had replied to me on this site.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:41 pm 

Caterpillar company dealers also carry 8 volt 950 amp. batteries and they are everywhere. These batteries are pretty much the standard size for a 4 battery 32 volt system and should fit perfectly in your battery box. You can get their Dimensions from any Cat dealer or online. Three years ago I paid about $970 for a set of four batteries for an Ohio locomotive crane with a Detroit 8v 71 with a shunt wound traction generator attached to it which also starts the engine. In my 37 years of railroad experience with heavy railroad Maintenance of Way Equipment and small locomotive I have never seen a mixture of different size batteries. The batteries must all be the same type and size.